Skip to main content
Press Release

Engineer Sentenced For Traveling To Laredo To Engage In Illicit Sexual Conduct

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Texas

LAREDO, Texas – Douglas Alan Butler, 55, a resident of Battle Creek, Mich., has been sentenced for traveling in interstate commerce for the purpose of engaging in illicit sexual conduct, announced United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson. Butler pleaded guilty Sept. 9, 2013.

Today, Senior U.S. District Judge George P. Kazen handed Butler a sentence of 30 months in federal prison to be immediately followed by five years of supervised release. Butler will also be required to register as a sex offender. 

According to the record, Butler started communicating with an undercover officer posing as a 15-year-old female by way of a local chat room. Communication started on March 28, 2013, and lasted for approximately a month until the date of his arrest,  April 23, 2013.

During the chats, Butler was informed the girl was 15 years of age, but he still steered the communication to sexually illicit conversation and repeatedly asked the undercover investigator about sex. Butler also engaged in extensive conversations about what kind of sexual activities they would engage in  when they finally met. Particularly, Butler indicated that he “could teach her so many things.” Butler advised that he had plans of traveling to Laredo and expressed a desire to meet her.

Butler had made arrangements to meet the deputy whom he believed to be the minor female at a local city park and promised to bring a sex toy during that encounter. He was arrested upon arrival at that park, at which time a pink vibrator was discovered in his car. A subsequent search of his hotel also resulted in the discovery of several condoms, Viagra pills and other paraphernalia of a sexual nature.

Butler admitted he had engaged in online chats of sexual nature with several young girls from Laredo and that he had met and engaged in sex with several women he had met in Laredo.

He will remain in custody pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined in the near future.

The case was investigated by Homeland Security Investigations and Webb County Sheriff’s Office and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Sonah Lee and Suntrease Williams. 

Updated April 30, 2015