Skip to main content
Press Release

KC Man Pleads Guilty To Resisting Federal Officer

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Missouri

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man pleaded guilty in federal court today to resisting a federal officer after he threatened workers at a local Social Security office and fought with Federal Protective Service (FPS) security officers.

Leonard C. Williams, 46, of Kansas City, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Greg Kays to the charge contained in a Sept. 4, 2012 federal indictment.

Williams entered the Social Security Administration office at 2021 Independence Ave., Kansas City, on Aug. 1, 2012. Williams was upset about a letter he had received and repeatedly told an employee that he would return with a gun. Employees then called for the assistance of the FPS officers.

FPS officers ordered Williams, who was leaving the building, to stop. He ignored the order, and when an officer attempted to handcuff Williams he resisted. Williams shoved the officer and struck him in his struggle to resist detention and leave the office. Officers brought Williams to the ground and he began kicking. An officer sprayed him with pepper spray as he continued kicking, striking several officers. When officers handcuffed Williams, he became compliant. Williams threatened to return and shoot the officers in the back.

During the struggle to detain Williams, one officer sustained a cut above his left eyebrow and a contusion of the abdominal wall. Another officer sustained a laceration on his neck, and another sustained an elbow abrasion.

As a result of Williams’ actions, the Social Security office was shut down for the remainder of the afternoon of Aug. 1, 2012, and was closed the entire next day.

Under federal statutes, Williams is subject to a sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison without parole, plus a fine up to $250,000. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled after the completion of a presentence investigation by the United States Probation Office.

This case is being prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Kate Hoey. It was investigated by the Federal Protective Service.

Updated January 7, 2015