The Charlotte Mecklenburg Human Trafficking Task Force is a coalition of services providers, law enforcement, and prosecutors, working to fight human trafficking.The goal of the task force is justice and healing for victims through the support of collaborative services and education in the community. The task force was formed to focus on investigating and prosecuting persons who engage in sex trafficking and labor trafficking and to provide needed services and assistance to the victims of human trafficking.
The Four Main Task Force Goals
- To facilitate a more coordinated anti-trafficking effort in the Charlotte metropolitan area through protocol development, extensive community outreach, proactive investigations, law enforcement training, intelligence sharing, and more formalized partnerships between law enforcement organizations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- To identify citizen, resident and transnational victims of both sex and labor trafficking.
- To maintain a network of comprehensive services for trafficking victims.
- To increase the prosecution of traffickers.
What is human trafficking?
The use of force, threat of force, fraud or coercion to recruit, harbor, transport, provide or obtain any person for labor or commercial sex or to cause a person under 18 to engage in a commercial sex act.
Task Force Membership
Below is a list of active members:
Law Enforcement Members
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of North Carolina
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Homeland Security Investigations
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department
- Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office
- Mecklenburg County Public Defender's Office
Service Provider Members
- Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services
- Lily Pad Haven
- Rise Up Ministries
- On Eagles Wings Ministries
- Moore & Van Allen, PLLC
- Legal Aid of North Carolina
- Safe Alliance
- Carolina Healthcare System
- Pat's Place Child Advocacy Center
- Junior League of Charlotte
To Report suspicious activity by contact:
- Charlotte Office of the FBI at 704-672-6100
- ICE's Homeland Security Investigations at 1-866-DHS-2-ICE (1-866-347-2423) or at www.dhs.gov/humantrafficking
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC) Multi-Lingual Hotline, Operated by Polaris Project, 1-888-373-7888