Skip to main content
Press Release

Man Previously Convicted Of Federal Firearms Offense Sentenced To 44 Months In Prison For Assaulting Two Deputy U.S. Marshals

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of North Carolina
Judge Ordered the Sentence to be Served Consecutive to the Defendant’s 15 Year Prison Term on the Gun Charge

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – On Thursday, December 3, 2015, Chief U.S. District Judge Frank D. Whitney sentenced Reginald Lashawn Lockhart, 31, of Charlotte to serve to 44 months in prison and three years of supervised release in connection with the 2014 assault of two Deputy U.S. Marshals, announced Jill Westmoreland Rose, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina.  Judge Whitney ordered Lockhart’s sentence to be served consecutive to the 15 year prison term Lockhart is serving for a firearms offense.

U.S. Attorney Rose is joined in making today’s announcement by Kelly M. Nesbit, United States Marshal of the United States Marshals Service for the Western District of North Carolina and John A. Strong, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Charlotte Division.

According to filed court documents and court proceedings, on September 3, 2015, Lockhart appeared in federal court for his sentencing proceedings relating to a firearms violation charge.  According to court records, after Lockhart was handed down the 180 month prison term for that conviction, the defendant assaulted two Deputy U.S. Marshals who were escorting him from the courtroom.  Court records show that Lockhart made physical contact with the two deputies and inflicted bodily injury upon them.  According to statements made during the sentencing hearing, Lockhart had threatened and assaulted other deputy marshals on other occasions.  Lockhart also assaulted a Mecklenburg County detention officer in June 2013, and was even making threats to assault guards within the past week.  Lockhart pleaded guilty to two counts of assaulting an officer in April 2015. 

Lockhart has been in federal custody since November 2012 for his previous federal offense.  He will be transferred to the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons upon designation of a federal facility.  All federal sentences are served without the possibility of parole.   

The investigation was handled by the U.S. Marshals Service and the FBI.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Don Gast of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte.


Updated December 4, 2015