Skip to main content
Press Release

Oklahoma City Man Pleads Guilty to Making a Bomb Threat and Sending Child Pornography

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma –  ROBERT SHANE APGAR, 34, of Oklahoma City, has pled guilty to falsely and maliciously reporting that his estranged ex-wife intended to blow up the Grady County Courthouse, announced Mark A. Yancey, United States Attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma.  Apgar has also entered a guilty plea to sending child pornography.


According to the first count of a four-count indictment returned by a federal grand jury on July 18, 2017, Apgar used the internet on December 1, 2015, to send false information about an attempt to bomb the Grady County Courthouse.  An affidavit filed on May 2, 2017, explains that this threat was made anonymously to the FBI by email and triggered precautions at the Grady County Sheriff’s Office.  The email stated that the bombing would be carried out by a person later identified as Apgar’s ex-wife, whom he had threatened before.  On December 8, 2015, after further investigation, the FBI executed a search warrant at an Oklahoma City residence where Apgar was living with his mother.


The search yielded pornographic images of prepubescent children from October 2015.  According to Count 2 of the indictment, Apgar attempted to persuade, induce, and entice a minor to engage in sexually explicit conduct for the purpose of transmitting video images of that conduct.  According to Count 3, Apgar used a facility of interstate commerce to send images of a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct.  And according to Count 4, Apgar possessed images of that sort with intent to view them after they had been sent through a means of interstate commerce.


Today Apgar pled guilty to making a bomb threat, as alleged in Count 1, and sending child pornography, as alleged in Count 3.  At sentencing, he could receive up to 10 years in prison and 3 years of supervised release on Count 1.  On Count 3, he will receive no less than 5 and no more than 20 years in prison, followed by up to life on supervised release.  He will remain in custody until sentencing, which will take place in approximately 90 days.  Reference is made to court records for further information.


This case is the result of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with the assistance of the Grady County Sheriff’s Office.  It is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brandon Hale.


Updated October 3, 2017

Project Safe Childhood