You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a sampling of some of the questions we hear from callers to our office. If your question is not answered here, please feel free to contact us.

How can I find out about some of the cases your office has handled?

You can locate recent cases on this website by following the “News” link. Each week, cases are highlighted and described in detail in the news releases, which are sent out to dozens of media outlets. Citizens can often find out details about large scale cases, and other cases which directly affect the community.

How can I find out what has happened to a defendant who has been sentenced to prison as a result of one of your cases?

The United States Bureau of Prisons website has a section called “Inmate Locator” on the left side of the page. By typing in a name and other information, you can find out how long an inmate is serving, where the inmate is housed, and a brief description of the location and picture of the institution. If an inmate has been released, the website will often give a date of release.

How do I report a federal crime?

Federal crimes are investigated by many agencies. Here are just a few of the federal agencies which investigate federal crimes and their general contact.

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FB I)
1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324)

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)

Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
Philadelphia Division: (215) 861-3474
Pittsburgh Field Office: (412) 777-6940


The Office is called the "U.S. Attorney;" does that mean you represent "U.S." citizens like myself?

Not in individual litigation you may wish to bring against another person, company, or government agency.

Okay, then can you suggest someone who could represent me?

Sorry, our office is not permitted to make direct referrals. May we suggest, however, that you contact the Pennsylvania State Bar Association at 800.932.0311 who can refer you to an attorney in good standing who handles your particular type of litigation.

Does your office pursue "deadbeat parents?"

Yes, federal law allows us to become involved when the non-custodial parent is in another state. They must have failed to have paid a past due child support obligation for over a year or one that is greater than $5000.

I am having a problem with a local business. Where can I turn for help?

Though it is not our function to provide legal advice, may we suggest that you contact either the Better Business Bureau or the Chamber of Commerce. Both organizations have clearinghouses for such complaints.

I need to contact a federal agency other than the Department of Justice. Can you tell me how?

If the agency has a local office, you can find their number in the blue pages of the telephone book. If not or if you need to contact their Washington, D.C. office, you may call the Federal Information Center toll-free at (800) 688-9889. You can also check and see if we have their web site listed in our links page.

If I want to report a federal crime, who should I call?

Ultimately an investigative agency like the FBI or the DEA may handle your information but you can call us first and we'll try to direct you to the correct agency.

Check back frequently as we will add to and change the above list of FAQs.

Updated October 13, 2021

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No