Skip to main content
Press Release

Felon Sentenced to 12 Years in Federal Prison for Armed Carjacking’s

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Tennessee

Memphis, TN – Cowan Hill, 44, has been sentenced to 151 months in federal prison for carjacking’s and for brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence. Acting U.S. Attorney Joseph C. Murphy Jr., announced the sentence today.

According to information presented in court, on December 8, 2019, the Memphis Police Department responded to a carjacking on Cherry Road. The victim advised that while warming his 2004 Lincoln Aviator a male approached and pointed a gun at him and told him to get out of the car. The suspect struck the victim several times in the head and neck. The victim blew the horn to alert his wife who called 911. As the victim ran into the house, the suspect fled the scene in the car.

On December 15, 2019, officers with the Memphis Police Department responded to a carjacking at Shell gas station on Winchester Road. The victim reported as he was pumping gas, an older male pulled him from the driver’s seat of his 2011 Kia Sorento and threatened to kill him. The victim attempted to fight off the suspect who repeatedly struck him and yelled, "I’ll kill you. I'll kill you." The suspect eventually gained control of the car and sped off, dragging the victim twenty-five to thirty feet across the lot. The victim had visible injuries to his head, neck, arms, and legs and had to be treated by paramedics. The violent assault and theft were caught on the store's surveillance video.

During the investigation, both victims identified Cowan Hill as the male who assaulted them.

On July 13, 2021, Hill pled guilty to committing both crimes. As a result of his criminal history, including a 2016 conviction for carjacking, Hill is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition. He was on parole at the time of these offenses.

On November 18, 2021, U.S. District Judge Thomas L. Parker sentenced Hill to 151 months incarceration to be followed by 5 years of supervised release. There is no parole in the federal system.

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the Memphis Police Department.

Assistant U.S. Attorneys Raney Irwin and Wendy Cornejo prosecuted this case on behalf of the government.



Cherri Green
Public Affairs
(901) 544-4231

Updated November 22, 2021