Skip to main content
Press Release

Repeat Offender Sentenced to Six Years in Prison for Gun and Drug Crimes

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Washington
Defendant Continued To Possess Drugs And Guns After First Federal Arrest

            A Tacoma man who continued to deal drugs while illegally armed with a handgun even after his first federal arrest, was sentenced today to six years in prison and five years of supervised release, announced U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan.  DAVID KUNTZ, 28, was arrested twice over a five month period with firearms while involved in drug trafficking.  A convicted felon, KUNTZ is prohibited from possessing firearms.  KUNTZ pleaded guilty in October 2012 to being a Felon in Possession of a Firearm, Possession with Intent to Distribute Oxycodone, and Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Drug Trafficking Offense.  At sentencing U.S. District Judge Ronald B. Leighton told him, “this conduct is corrosive in the community…. You are responsible for that.”

            According to records filed in the case, KUNTZ’s first arrest in this case occurred in June 2011 in the McDonald’s parking lot on South Tacoma Way and Highway 512.  KUNTZ arrived at a drug deal set up by a person working with law enforcement.  KUNTZ was driving in a truck with another person.  The driver of the truck tried to flee, crashing into vehicles parked in the lot.  At the time of the arrest KUNTZ was in possession of a Ruger semi-automatic pistol and $7,800 in cash that he admitted was for the drug buy.  KUNTZ was prohibited from possessing a firearm because of five felony drug convictions in Pierce County Superior Court.

            Following the June 2011 arrest, KUNTZ was again contacted by law enforcement while involved in drug trafficking.  On November 2, 2011, Lakewood Police stopped the car in which KUNTZ was riding.  KUNTZ was sitting on a firearm, a 9mm Smith and Wesson, and had more than 100 oxycodone pills in his possession.  He also had more than $2100 in cash.

            The case was investigated by the South Sound Gang Task Force and was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Gregory A. Gruber.

Updated March 24, 2015