News and Press Releases

kC man sentenced to 14 years for cocaine conspiracy

October 4, 2011

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Beth Phillips, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man was sentenced in federal court today for his role illegally possessing cocaine and a firearm.

Gerome K. King, 30, of Kansas City, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Greg Kays to 14 years and 10 months in federal prison without parole.

On March 11, 2011, King pleaded guilty to participating in a conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine. Police officers had conducted several controlled buys of crack cocaine from King and had King’s residence under surveillance. On March 23, 2010, officers saw King leave the residence in a Dodge Durango that was being driven by co-defendant Deandra S. Gray, 40, of Kansas City.

After Gray picked up King at his residence, officers observed the Durango pull over and witnessed a suspected narcotics transaction. When officers stopped the vehicle, King and Gray both attempted to flee on foot but were apprehended. King was searched and officers found crack cocaine and $897 in his right front coat pocket.

During a search of the vehicle, officers found a loaded Desert Eagle .44 mag (which had been reported as stolen) in the center console and a loaded Glock 9mm handgun under the passenger seat. Officers also found two clear plastic bags containing a total of 262.12 grams of cocaine in the center console along with $1,749.

Officers executed a search warrant at King’s residence and found additional cocaine, crack cocaine, two plastic bags containing pills, drug paraphernalia, two loaded handguns and two assault rifles.

Gray was sentenced on July 27, 2011, to 15 years and 10 months in federal prison without parole. Gray pleaded guilty to possessing 50 grams or more of cocaine with the intent to distribute, and to possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking crime.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Justin G. Davids. It was investigated by the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department.

Return to Top