News and Press Releases

tuscumbia man pleads guilty to armed bank robbery,
admits attempted robbery

October 31, 2012

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – David M. Ketchmark, Acting United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Tuscumbia, Mo., man pleaded guilty in federal court today to the armed robbery of First State Bank in Iberia, Mo., and admitted that he also attempted to rob Central Bank in Tuscumbia.

David Brian Krzysik, 49, of Tuscumbia, pleaded guilty before U.S. Magistrate Judge Matt J. Whitworth to one count of bank robbery and one count of carrying a firearm in relation to a crime of violence.

On March 15, 2012, at 11:15 a.m., Krzysik entered the First State Bank in Iberia. He was wearing a black wig, a black costume beard, sunglasses, light blue jeans, a jacket, a red baseball cap, and gloves. Krzysik approached a bank teller and placed a black revolver on the counter in front of the teller. “This is real,” Krzysik said. “I want your money.  I don’t want to hurt anybody.”  Krzysik placed a black duffel bag on the counter and the teller emptied the currency in her drawer into the bag. Krzysik approached another teller, who also put money into the duffel bag, then left the bank. The total amount of cash taken during the robbery was $3,651.

At approximately 11:45 a.m., Krzysik arrived at the Central Trust Bank in Tuscumbia. Krzyski attempted to enter the bank through the front door, however, bank employees saw him coming – wearing the wig, beard and sunglasses – and locked the door.  Krzysik left the bank, returned to his car, placed the duffel bag in the trunk, and then left the area.

Police officers, who responded to a 911 call by bank employees, arrived and tried to stop Krzysik, who was driving in circles around the town square. Krzysik drove off the road onto a small trail that led to a wooded area, and drove down an embankment before he stopped and was arrested.

Under federal statutes, Krzysik is subject to a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years in federal prison without parole, up to a sentence of life in federal prison without parole. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled after the completion of a presentence investigation by the United States Probation Office.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Lynn. It was investigated by the FBI, the Miller County, Mo., Sheriff’s Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Return to Top