History of the Antitrust Division
The Sherman Antitrust Act was enforced by the Attorney General from the time of its passage in 1890 until the office of the Assistant to the Attorney General was established in 1903 during the administration of President Theodore Roosevelt and Attorney General Philander Knox.
The Assistant to the Attorney General handled antitrust matters from 1903 until 1933. During this time, on October 15, 1914, the Clayton Act was enacted.
In 1933, under the administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Attorney General Homer S. Cummings, the Antitrust Division was established, and Harold M. Stephens was appointed the first Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Antitrust Division.