How to File a Complaint with Other Federal Offices
The following links will lead you to information about how to file
a complaint with other federal offices that enforce laws that prohibit
discrimination. If you think that you or someone you know has been
the victim of discrimination or a hate crime, please follow these
links for information on filing a complaint.
- Office for Civil Rights, Office of Justice Programs
- If you believe you have been discriminated against by an agency that receives funding
from the Department of Justice, you can file a complaint with
the Office for Civil Rights, Office
of Justice Programs.
- Department of Transportation
- DOT may be able to help you with discrimination
in airports or on airplanes.
For example: a passenger of Pakistani national origin who is traveling
on a commercial airline claims that he was asked to leave the airplane
by airline officials at a U.S. airport. He believes that he was singled
out because he looks Middle Eastern.
This individual can be referred to the Air
Consumer Protection Division within the DOT for airline issues,
and to the Federal
Aviation Administration of DOT for airport issues.
of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR):
- OCR may be able to help you with discrimination
- Department of Homeland Security:
- The DHS Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties handles complaints concerning abuses of civil rights, civil liberties, and profiling on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion, by employees and officials of the Department of Homeland Security. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commission (CBP), the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS), the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) are all part of DHS, and the DHS Office of Civil Rights can assist in complaints involving all of these agencies.
- Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission (EEOC):
- The EEOC may be able to help you with complaints about discrimination
Bureau of Investigation, Civil Rights Program:
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigates reports of hate crimes
and deprivations of constitutional rights (such as unwarranted assaults, illegal arrests and searches) by local and federal law enforcement officers.. If you think that you or someone
you know has been the victim of such a crime, you may contact
the local FBI office.
- Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Justice:
- This link contains information about where to file a complaint (including civil
rights complaints) about the conduct of a Department of Justice employee.
This includes employees and officers of the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA),
the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), the Federal Bureau of Prisons,
the U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Attorneys' Offices, and employees who work
in other Department of Justice offices.
- Department of Housing
and Urban Development (HUD):
- HUD may be able to help you with complaints about discrimination
- Department of
Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights (HHS):
- HHS may be able to help you with complaints about discrimination
in health care and other facilities that receive funding from HHS.
- Community Relations
- The Community Relations Service can provide expert guidance and assistance
to community officials and civic leaders concerned about incidents or
other hate activities in the aftermath of the World Trade Center and
Pentagon terrorist attacks. CRS Regional Offices will provide mediators
free of charge to help communities respond effectively to reported incidents,
tensions, and conflicts. Please contact the nearest CRS
Office for assistance.
- Executive Office
of United States Attorneys (EOUSA):
- Your local
United States Attorneys Office may be able to help you with a complaint
- U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Complaints alleging discrimination by Treasury Department employees can be filed with
the Department's Office
of Inspector General (OIG). Complaints alleging discrimination by any other Treasury
Department employees can also be filed with the OIG.
Office of Internal Affairs
U.S. Customs Service
U.S. Department of the Treasury
P.O. Box 14475
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20044
1-877-422-2557 (24 hours/day)
Office of the Inspector General
U.S. Department of the Treasury
740 15th St NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20220
http://www.treas.gov/oig/ (click on "Hotline" for contact information).
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Complaints alleging discrimination in disaster assistance may be filed with the FEMA Office of Equal Rights.