Elements of 18 U.S.C. § 1001
Section 1001's statutory terms are violated if someone:|
- "falsifies, conceals or covers up by any trick, scheme or device
- "makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or
- "makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to
any false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or entry"
- and, for cases arising after the 1996 amendments, the item at issue was
Whether the above acts are criminal depends on whether there is an
response to each of the following questions:
- Was the act or statement material?
- Was the act within the jurisdiction of a department or agency of the
- Was the act done knowingly and willfully?
[cited in USAM 9-42.001]