The District of Nevada comprises the entire state of Nevada, making it one of the largest of the 94 federal judicial districts. The District of Nevada is also one of the most unique and diverse Districts. Nevada, from Spanish meaning “snow-capped,” is home to the popular resort destinations of Las Vegas, Reno and Lake Tahoe. It also embraces the largest national forest in the contiguous United States, the Humboldt-Toiyabe, and 51 peaks above 9,000 feet. Over 80 percent of its lands are managed by federal government agencies, such as the Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service, and National Park Service, thus providing expansive outdoor recreation areas and attractions such as Hoover Dam, Red Rock Recreation Area, Great Basin National Park, and Lake Tahoe. These attributes, combined with a low unemployment rate and business-friendly environment, have made Nevada the fastest growing state in the United States for a number of years.
The United States Attorney's Office for the District of Nevada is responsible for representing the federal government in virtually all of the litigation involving the United States in Nevada and its 17 counties. It prosecutes cases investigated by numerous federal law enforcement agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Enforcement (ATF), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (U.S. ICE), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), U.S. Postal Inspection Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Park Service, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, including all criminal prosecutions for violations of federal law, civil lawsuits against and on behalf of the government, and actions to collect judgments and restitution on behalf of victims and taxpayers.
District Accomplishments Newsletter
Each year, we pull together information about the significant trials and court cases handled by our prosecutors, as well as updates concerning our programs and initiatives, and present it in this newsletter. Get a quick synopsis of our accomplishments when you click on it.
To serve the citizens of the District of Nevada with the highest standards of professionalism, courage and integrity by providing leadership and total commitment to enforcing the laws of the United States, ensuring the security of the communities we serve, defending the vital interests of the United States, protecting public funds and implementing the Strategic Plan of the United States Department of Justice, while simultaneously ensuring the fair and impartial administration of justice for all.
- Protect against the threat of terrorism by providing leadership and coordination in preventing terrorism, investigating allegations of terrorist activity, and prosecuting fully those responsible for terrorist incidents in Nevada.
- Enforce federal criminal laws in order to protect and secure the citizens and communities in the District of Nevada from violent crime, illegal drugs, organized crime, white collar and economic crime, child exploitation and other criminal activity.
- Prevent and reduce crime and violence by providing leadership, coordination and prosecution in the enforcement of federal criminal laws and by assisting state, tribal, local and community-based programs in the District of Nevada.
- Assist in protecting the integrity, and in promoting the effective operation of the federal justice system by protecting the rights of those who are involved in the federal justice system and by prosecuting those who attack its integrity in the District of Nevada.
- Defend the interests of the United States by effectively representing those interests in all civil matters for which the United States Attorney’s Office has jurisdiction in the District of Nevada.
- Promote the highest standards of professionalism, courage, integrity, and accountability to ensure the fair and impartial administration of justice for all and to ensure public trust and confidence by exercising sound leadership, good judgment, and decisions based on ethics, and by preventing fraud, waste and abuse of resources in the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Nevada.
Return to Top
Daniel G. Bogden
welcomes you to the District of Nevada