Assistant U.S. Attorneys in the Criminal Division have a diverse caseload that includes cases dealing with narcotics trafficking, drug crimes, firearms, gang prosecutions, violent crimes, child pornography, white collar crimes, public corruption, identity theft/financial crimes, corporate fraud, wire fraud, false claims cases and securities fraud, among others.
Among recent notable cases:
- Rhode Island Hospital agrees to pay $5.3 million for ordering unnecessary hospital stays billed to federal health care programs
- Nine leaders, underbosses, members and associates of the New England La Cosa Nostra were indicted and successfully prosecuted in racketeering and extortion conspiracy
- The former mayor of Central Falls, R.I., sentenced to 24 months in federal prison for participating in a corruption scheme in which he accepted goods and services from a longtime friend and political supporter as a reward for having directed and provided board-up work on more than 160 properties in Central Falls
- Two-year investigation in Woonsocket, R.I., leads to the successful prosecution of 16 individuals on firearm and drug charges; seizure of 37 firearms, crack cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy pills and acid
- $500 million was forfeited by the online search engine Google Inc., for allowing online Canadian pharmacies to place advertisements through its AdWords advertising program targeting consumers in the United States, resulting in the unlawful importation of controlled and non-controlled prescription drugs into the United States; $330 million of forfeited funds were shared among nine local, state and federal agencies, with the majority of the funds distributed to local and state law enforcement agencies.
- Three North Providence, R.I., town councilmen, an attorney and a developer sentenced to federal prison for participating in a $100,000 bribery and extortion scheme for zoning variances
- 27 months in federal prison for a former state senator and real estate attorney convicted of mortgage fraud
- The prosecution of defendants in two of Rhode Island's largest drug seizures - 65 kilos of cocaine and 19 kilos of pure heroin
- An estate planning CEO and an employee of his firm indicted and prosecuted for stealing and using the identities of terminally-ill patients to obtain millions of dollars in illicit profits from insurance companies and bond issuers
- A high school assistant soccer coach sentenced to 60 months in federal prison on child pornography charges
Internet Safety Tips
Safe internet practices for both Parents and children: