The Northern District of Georgia's Gainesville Division is located in the county seat of Hall County. Gainesville is growing rapidly and expanding in the areas of trade, industry, education, and retirement living. The 2002 census reports this area is home to more than 566,030 Georgians.
Situated in the foothills of the southern Appalachian Mountains, Hall County, City of Gainesville http://www.gainesville.org and the other counties in the division offer diverse recreational opportunities. Gainesville served as host for the 1996 Olympic Rowing/Kayaking Venue. Lake Lanier, a huge recreational lake with 607 miles of shoreline, http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil, is the most visited U.S. Corps of Engineers project in the United States. Just north of Gainesville is the Bavarian village of Helen, Georgia, http://www.helenga.org which hosts the annual Oktoberfest and Alpine Lights celebrations.
In Dahlonega http://www.dahlonega.org early Georgia settlers discovered gold, and "panning" for gold is still a favorite pastime for residents and tourists. Farther north in the division is Tallulah Falls and the Tallulah Gorge which spans the border of Habersham and Rabun counties. Tallulah Falls and the Gorge are surrounded and preserved by a state park.
For more information, contact:
Gainesville office 770.536.6873
Atlanta office 404.581.6000
Driving directions to the division office - 121 Spring Street
- I-85 North to
- Exit I-985 (to the LEFT--GAINESVILLE) Exit 22, GA Hwy. 129
- Turn LEFT on GA Hwy. 129 and drive back across the bridge. (The sign points to "Gainesville")
- Stay on GA Hwy. 129 and drive to the main intersection of U.S. 129 and Jesse Jewell Parkway
- At the intersection of 129 and Jesse Jewell Parkway, go through the lights to the second traffic light
- Turn LEFT and go one block to Green Street
- Turn LEFT on Green Street and go one block (Green Street dead-ends into new Hall County Courthouse Complex and the
- Federal Courthouse is immediately on your right.
Turn left and immediately turn right into the Hall County Parking lot where you can park for free.