Skip to main content

Commutation of Sentence

The President can commute (reduce) a sentence imposed by a federal court or the District of Columbia Superior Court. Use the commutation application if you are seeking relief from a prison sentence, fine, or restitution. A new version of the commutation application form was published in December 2023; however, if you applied using the old form, and your application is still pending, you do not need to reapply. 


The Office of the Pardon Attorney does not process requests for commutation (reduction) of sentences from persons convicted of offenses in military courts-martial. Military commutation requests are handled by the military branch that handled the conviction and sentencing.


Updated January 31, 2024