Skip to main content
Press Release

Suspects in Randleman Road Robbery Plead Guilty

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Middle District of North Carolina

GREENSBORO, NC – Two Asheboro men, Deante Tre’Devaughn Cheek (“Cheek”) and Amir Joseph Marshall (“Marshall”), pleaded guilty to robbery and firearms charges, announced U.S. Attorney Sandra J. Hairston of the Middle District of North Carolina.

Cheek, age, 26, entered a guilty plea on November 8, 2022, and Marshall, age 21, pleaded guilty today. Both defendants pleaded guilty to one count of interference with commerce by robbery and one count of felon in possession of a firearm.

According to court documents, on December 28, 2020, Cheek and Marshall robbed the owner of a business located on Randleman Road in Greensboro at gunpoint. During the incident, the store owner and Marshall were shot. Cheek and Marshall left the scene and got into a blue Honda Accord. Approximately 25 minutes later, Marshall arrived at Randolph Hospital in a blue Honda Accord. Hospital surveillance video shows Marshall being helped into the hospital by an individual whose clothing matched that of one of the assailants at the Randleman Road robbery.

On the date of the robbery, Cheek was on supervised probation with the North Carolina Department of Public Safety and had been equipped with a GPS ankle monitor. A review of the GPS data showed that CHEEK’s ankle monitor was in the vicinity of the robbery location during the time of the robbery. CHEEK’s ankle monitor then traveled to Randolph Health hospital in Asheboro at a rate of around 120 miles per hour.

Cheeks’ sentencing is scheduled to take place on April 25, 2023, at 2:00 p.m. in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, before United States District Judge Loretta C. Biggs. Marshall’s sentencing is set for June 2, 2023 at 2:00 p.m. At sentencing, each defendant faces a maximum term of imprisonment of not more than twenty years for the robbery charge, and up to ten years imprisonment on the firearms charge, plus a period of supervised release and monetary penalties.

Agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Greensboro Police Department investigated the case. The case is being prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary Ann Courtney.


Updated November 15, 2022