Grand Jury Indicts Man on Federal Carjacking and Firearm Charges for Allegedly Stealing Vehicles at Gunpoint in Chicago
CHICAGO — A federal grand jury has indicted a Chicago man on carjacking and firearm charges for allegedly stealing multiple vehicles at gunpoint last month.
EARRIOUS MOORE, 24, stole three cars, attempted to steal two others, and twice discharged a handgun during a series of crimes in Chicago on April 26, 2018, according to a ten-count indictment returned Thursday. The indictment charges Moore with three counts of carjacking, two counts of attempted carjacking, three counts of using, carrying and brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence, and two counts of discharging a firearm during a crime of violence.
Moore was originally charged in a criminal complaint last month. The firearm charges in the indictment each carry a maximum sentence of life in federal prison, while each attempted carjacking is punishable by up to 25 years due to the alleged firearm discharge during the attempts, and each carjacking by up to 15 years. Arraignment in U.S. District Court in Chicago has not yet been scheduled.
The indictment was announced by John R. Lausch, Jr., United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois; Eddie Johnson, Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department; and Celinez Nunez, Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago Field Division of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives.
The case was investigated by the Vehicular Hijacking Task Force, a joint federal and state initiative consisting of officers, agents and prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Chicago Police Department, ATF, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, Illinois State Police, and suburban police departments.
“Carjacking is a senseless act of violence that has no place in our society,” said U.S. Attorney Lausch. “Our office is committed to working closely with CPD, ATF and other law enforcement partners to pursue and prosecute violent offenders. The carjacking and gun charges announced today are the direct result of that strong partnership.”
“Today's federal indictment sends a very clear message of just how serious we are taking carjackings throughout Chicago,” said Superintendent Johnson. “U.S. Attorney Lausch continues to be a formidable partner to the Chicago Police Department and shares our commitment and dedication to holding individuals accountable and keeping our streets safe.”
“There is no place in our society for violent criminals targeting innocent people,” said Special Agent-in-Charge Nunez. “Chicago is a great city. Citizens and visitors have the right to feel safe and ATF will continue to work closely with the United States Attorney’s Office and our law enforcement partners to restore peace and bring violent criminals to justice.”
According to the indictment, Moore carjacked two sport-utility vehicles and a sedan, and attempted to carjack two other vehicles. He brandished a loaded .40-caliber pistol during all three carjackings, and he discharged the pistol during the two attempted carjackings. In the final attempted carjacking, an individual sitting in a Mercedes-Benz in the 1400 block of North Lake Shore Drive was shot and wounded and subsequently treated at a hospital, according to the criminal complaint previously filed in the case. Moore ran away from that vehicle and was apprehended by Chicago Police Department officers in the lobby of a nearby building, the complaint states.
The public is reminded that an indictment is not evidence of guilt. The defendant is presumed innocent and entitled to a fair trial at which the government has the burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If convicted, the Court must impose a reasonable sentence under federal statutes and the advisory U.S. Sentencing Guidelines.
The government is represented by Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew L. Kutcher.