You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Puerto Rico

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Couple Arrested For Carjacking

SAN JUAN, P.R. – Today, a federal grand jury returned a one-count indictment against two individuals for carjacking, announced United States Attorney Rosa Emilia Rodríguez-Vélez. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is in charge of the investigation.

The indictment alleges that on or about June 2, 2016, in the District of Puerto Rico, Bernard Díaz-Pérez and Jessenia Salgado-Ortiz, aiding and abetting each other, with the intent to cause death and serious bodily harm, did take a motor vehicle, to wit: a red 2008 Scion, model XD, that had been transported, shipped or received in interstate or foreign commerce, from the presence of F.N.R., by force, violence and intimidation, resulting in serious bodily injury, that is, sexually assaulting a female passenger, all while using a replica gun, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2119(2).

“Unfortunately, this carjacking resulted in more than the material loss of a car; a victim was sexually assaulted. This type of behavior is unconscionable and unacceptable. The U.S. Attorney’s Office will prosecute these defendants to the full extent of the law,” said Rosa Emilia Rodríguez-Vélez, U.S. Attorney for the District of Puerto Rico.

“This arrest was the result of a five-day manhunt, during which time numerous dedicated agents of the FBI and our law enforcement partners worked tirelessly to identify, locate, and apprehend the subject of these serious allegations. Violent crime, including carjacking, has skyrocketed in Puerto Rico. In recognition of this epidemic, FBI Headquarters will deploy additional resources to the San Juan Division. In the coming weeks, federal law enforcement will announce increased activity which is being undertaken to enable the citizens of Puerto Rico to be able to go about their lives without fear of violent robberies and attacks.  As always, the public's help is essential to apprehending these violent criminals, and citizens with information are asked to call the FBI San Juan Field Office at 787-754-6000, or to use the tip line available at our website,,” said Douglas A. Leff, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI, San Juan Field Office.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Max Pérez Bouret. If convicted, the defendants face up to 25 years in prison. Indictments contain only charges and are not evidence of guilt.  Defendants are presumed to be innocent until and unless proven guilty.

Project Safe Neighborhoods
Violent Crimes
Updated June 8, 2016