Skip to main content
Press Release

East St. Louis Brothers Sentenced on Federal Kidnapping Charges

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois
Lauren Barry, Public Affairs Officer

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. – A U.S. District judge sentenced two brothers from East St. Louis each to more than 30 years imprisonment after the pair was found guilty of kidnapping a man who has never been found. 

Convicted by a jury on Nov. 10, 2022, Kendrick Frazier, 36, received a 396-month sentence and Kenwyn Frazier, 39, received a 365-month sentence for kidnapping Kein Eastman, also of East St. Louis, in August 2020. Since his abduction, Eastman has not been seen or heard from according to law enforcement and his family members.

“The lengthy sentences represent the severity of the defendants’ crimes and their blatant disrespect for human life and the law,” said U.S. Attorney Rachelle Aud Crowe.

“This sentencing simply does not happen without ISP’s commitment to bringing criminals to justice,” said ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly. “ISP Public Safety Enforcement Group special agents will continue to work with local law enforcement, the community, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to reduce and prevent violence, while holding those who break the law accountable.”

According to court documents and evidence presented during the trial, Kenwyn forced Eastman out of his grandmother’s house at gunpoint on Aug. 13, 2020, because he believed Eastman had stolen his jeweled mouthpiece, commonly known as a “grillz.” He drove Eastman in a Dodge Durango to an apartment on Kansas Avenue in East St. Louis and made him look for the grillz.

When Eastman couldn’t find it, Kenwyn called his brother, Kendrick, to the apartment. Shortly after Kendrick arrived, the Frazier brothers pulled Eastman out of the apartment at gunpoint threatening to shoot him if he did not take them to the grillz. Recorded by a Ring doorbell camera outside the house, the brothers forced Eastman to the ground, repeatedly threatening and assaulting him.

Eastman insisted he hadn’t taken it and pleaded with them not to shoot. Despite his pleas, Kendrick fired one shot at Eastman while he laid on the ground. After the shooting, witnesses testified they saw Eastman bleeding from his face as he ran from the apartment complex. Kendrick and Kenwyn followed immediately after him in the Dodge Durango.

Hours later, the Dodge Durango was found on fire and burned to the frame by the East St. Louis Fire Department.

Jasmine M. Crawford, 25, of East St. Louis, was also charged in the indictment and pleaded guilty to one count of obstruction of justice after she admitted to tampering with a Ring doorbell camera as it recorded portions of the crime. She was sentenced to 4 years of probation on Dec. 7, 2022.

Agents with the Illinois State Police Public Safety Enforcement Group led the investigation with support from the East St. Louis Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Ali Summers and Zoe Gross prosecuted the case.

Updated August 10, 2023