Skip to main content
Press Release

Former Centreville Assistant Police Chief Sentenced

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois

The former Centreville, Illinois, assistant chief of police was sentenced in Federal District Court on September 27, 2013, for making false statements to federal investigators, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton, announced today. Corey Allen, 32, was sentenced to 24 months in prison, a $100 special assessment, a $250 fine, and one year of supervised release following his prison sentence. Allen pled guilty on April 25, 2012.

Evidence presented at the sentencing hearing established that on May 3, 2012, that Corey Allen sold a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, along with two magazines, for $100 to Individual #1 - a registered sex offender who had previously been convicted of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse.

“Corey Allen is a bright young man who has a lot going for him. It is a shame that his greed overcame his good sense when he supplied a weapon to a felon. As I have noted, I will not tolerate police misconduct in any form. While 99% of our officers are hard-working men and women who stand ready to protect us, those who abuse their oaths will be found and prosecuted.” noted United States Attorney Wigginton.

On October 11, 2012, federal investigators and Allen (who was then an officer) responded to the scene of a chase where Individual #1 had reportedly fled from the police. The federal agents advised Allen that they suspected that Individual #1 had thrown a gun while he was running and asked Allen to interview Individual #1 while the federal agents continued to search for the item that was believed to have been thrown. Unbeknownst to Allen, agents utilized recording devices to capture the conversation. Allen was recorded discussing the gun and concocting a false explanation for Individual #1 to explain why he fled. After speaking to Individual #1, Allen rejoined federal agents and lied about his conversation with Individual #1.

Allen was formally interviewed on November 30, 2012. He was told that Individual #1 said that he had obtained the gun from Allen prior to his arrest on October 11, 2012. The federal agents asked Allen whether he had provided Individual #1 with the firearm. Allen falsely stated that he did not supply the gun to Individual #1, claiming that he had no idea where Individual #1 had gotten the gun. Allen further stated that prior to October 11, 2012, he had never seen the gun before, when in truth and in fact, Allen had previously possessed the firearm and had sold the firearm to Individual #1 for $100 on May 3, 2012.

Allen was convicted of a felony offense for making false statements. However, his sentence was determined under the more serious law applicable for selling a firearm to a felon.

The investigation was conducted through the Metro East Public Corruption Task Force by agents from the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Steven D. Weinhoeft.

Updated February 19, 2015