The mission of the National Center for Disaster Fraud (NCDF) is to improve and further the detection, prevention, investigation, and prosecution of fraud related to natural and man-made disasters, and to advocate for the victims of such fraud. In furtherance of its mission, NCDF engages in the following activities:
- NCDF operates a call center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to take disaster fraud complaints through a national hotline number (1-866-720-5721) or submitted through the NCDF Web Complaint Form. This hotline serves, in essence, as a national 911 for disaster fraud.
- NCDF investigators review complaints and, as appropriate, refer complaints to the appropriate federal, state, or local agency in the relevant jurisdiction. Reviews include de-confliction, as well as identifying national trends and multi-jurisdictional schemes and offenders.
- NCDF provides investigative support in matters of significant national interest and other select matters upon request of the relevant federal, state, or local agencies investigating the matter.
- NCDF provides training, best practices, and lessons learned to federal, state, and local prosecutors and investigators who handle, or anticipate handling, disaster fraud matters.
- NCDF engages in outreach aimed at educating the public concerning disaster fraud and ways in which to avoid becoming a victim.
- NCDF provides national coordination for disaster fraud stakeholders, including federal, state, and local law enforcement and administrative agencies, governmental entities engaged in disaster relief, and non-profit organizations.
- NCDF provides national representation of the disaster fraud issue before federal, state, and local legislative and administrative bodies, including the U.S. Congress and the U.S. Sentencing Commission.