Office of Environmental Justice
About the Office
The Office of Environmental Justice (OEJ) will engage all Justice Department bureaus, components and offices in the collective pursuit of environmental justice. The mission of OEJ is to protect overburdened and underserved communities from the harm caused by environmental crimes, pollutions and climate change. OEJ will
- Serve as the central hub to implement the Department of Justice comprehensive environmental justice enforcement strategy
- Build a partnership with community advocates; and
- Provide fair and equal treatment and involvement of all people in the environmental decision making process.
Comprehensive Environmental Justice Enforcement Strategy
On May 5, 2022, Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta signed the Comprehensive Environmental Justice Enforcement Strategy. The Strategy provides a roadmap for using the Justice Department’s civil and criminal enforcement authorities and tools to achieve President Biden’s call. Under the Strategy, the Department seeks to advance environmental justice in underserved communities that have been historically marginalized and overburdened, including low-income communities, communities of color, and Tribal and Indigenous communities.
The Strategy is grounded in four core principles, which direct Department attorneys to:
- prioritize cases that will reduce public health and environmental harms to overburdened and underserved communities;
- make strategic use of all available tools to address environmental justice concerns;
- meaningfully engage with impacted communities; and
- be transparent about environmental justice efforts, as well as the results of those efforts.
As we work to advance environmental justice, the Justice Department through the Office of Environmental Justice will look to strengthen our partnerships with community advocates and other stakeholders. We look forward to your input and engagement, to make this Strategy a living document that guides DOJ’s enforcement efforts.
Friday, July 1, 2022
Attorney General Merrick B. Garland Announces Department of Justice 2022-26 Strategic Plan
Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Federal Prosecutor Named as Environmental Justice Coordinator for the District of Rhode Island
Thursday, May 5, 2022
Justice Department Launches Comprehensive Environmental Justice Strategy
Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Chevron Phillips Chemical Company Agrees to Reduce Harmful Air Pollution at Three U.S. Chemical Plants
Tuesday, November 9, 2021
Justice Department Announces Environmental Justice Investigation into Alabama Department of Public Health and Lowndes County Health Department
Monday, September 27, 2021
United States Announces Settlement of Civil Action Addressing Clean Air Act Violations at New York City Public Schools