Skip to main content
Press Release

Armed Drug Dealer Sentenced To 70 Months In Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that MICHAEL STANLEY, 25, of New Haven, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Michael P. Shea in Hartford to 70 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for illegally possessing a firearm.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on February 1, 2014, New Haven police officers observed STANLEY walking on Kensington Street in New Haven.  At the time, STANLEY was wanted by the State of Connecticut Division of Parole.  When the officers approached STANLEY in their marked car, STANLEY reached into his waistband, pulled his hood over his head, and walked in the opposite direction.  After police stopped and exited the car, STANLEY ran, reached into his waistband area and threw an object. Officers apprehended STANLEY a short distance away.

A search of the area where STANLEY discarded an object revealed a fully-loaded Glock semi-automatic pistol that had been reported stolen in New Haven.  In addition, a search of STANLEY’s person revealed crack cocaine packaged for sale.

Subsequent forensic analysis of the firearm revealed DNA consistent with STANLEY’s DNA.
STANLEY has multiple prior felony convictions.  It is a violation of federal law for a person previously convicted of a felony offense to possess a firearm or ammunition that has moved in interstate or foreign commerce.

STANLEY has been detained since his arrest on February 1.  On July 15, 2014, he pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon.

This matter was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the New Haven Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Anthony E. Kaplan.


Tom Carson
(203) 821-3722

Updated March 18, 2015