Skip to main content
Press Release

Bridgeport Man Who Sold Fentanyl Involved in Overdose Death Sentenced to More Than 11 Years

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

Leonard C Boyle, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that JOHN MATTHEWS, also known as “Jay” and “Gotti,” 36, of Bridgeport, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Alvin W. Thompson in Hartford to 136 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on November 1, 2018, a 35-year-old man in Trumbull died of a drug overdose.  The investigation revealed that Matthews sold the victim the fentanyl that caused the victim’s death.

On November 2, 2018, law enforcement investigators, posing as the overdose victim and using the victim’s cell phone, placed an order for narcotics from Matthews.  Matthews was arrested after he arrived at the victim’s residence to complete the transaction.  At the time of his arrest, Matthews possessed 247 wax folds of fentanyl and $1,828 in cash.

Matthews’ criminal history includes multiple drug-related convictions, and he was on state parole when he distributed the fentanyl involved in the overdose death.

Matthews has been detained since in state custody since February 11, 2019, after he was arrested and charged with stealing a firearm, criminal weapon possession and possession of controlled substances offenses.  On June 18, 2021, he pleaded guilty in federal court to conspiracy to distribute and to possess with the intent to distribute heroin and fentanyl.

Judge Thompson ordered that the 136-month sentence is in addition to the approximately 32 months Matthews has served in state custody.

This investigation was conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration, Trumbull Police Department and Bridgeport Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Natasha Freismuth.

Updated September 30, 2021

Drug Trafficking