Skip to main content
Press Release

Connecticut Man Sentenced To 70 Months In Federal Prison For Mailing Threatening Letters

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

Deirdre M. Daly, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that ROLAND PREJEAN, also known as “Gary Joseph Gravelle,” 46, formerly of Thomaston and Morris, Conn., was sentenced today by Senior United States District Judge Warren W. Eginton in Bridgeport to 70 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for mailing numerous threatening letters.

According to court documents and statements made in court, in early September 2010, PREJEAN mailed a threatening letter to the Thomaston Post Office claiming that he had planted a hidden bomb on a remote timer in the Post Office.  The letter resulted in the evacuation of the Thomaston Post Office as well as the Thomaston Town Hall and a Thomaston Public School, which were in the immediate vicinity of the Post Office.  Bomb technicians from the Connecticut State Police Emergency Services Unit searched the post office for explosive or incendiary devices with negative results.

In addition, PREJEAN mailed a letter to a Connecticut Superior Court Judge in New London that included a substance that was represented to be “Liquid Anthrax,” and he sent threatening letters to a private individual and a probation officer in Connecticut.  In those letters PREJEAN threatened to kill numerous people, including a federal employee.

At today’s sentencing, the government also presented evidence of more than 50 other threatening letters that PREJEAN mailed both prior to his arrest and while he was detained in federal custody.

PREJEAN has been detained since his arrest in North Dakota on September 7, 2010.  On January 10, 2013, he pleaded guilty to one count of using the U.S. Mail to communicate a bomb threat and four counts of mailing threatening communications.

Acting U.S. Attorney Daly commended the substantial efforts and cooperation of the several agencies involved in this investigation including the Federal Bureau of Investigation in New Haven, Minneapolis, and Bismarck; the United States Postal Inspection Service in Connecticut and North Dakota; the United States Marshals Service in Connecticut; the Connecticut State Police Emergency Services Unit and the Thomaston Police Department.

Acting U.S. Attorney Daly also acknowledged the assistance provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of North Dakota.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney David E. Novick.


Tom Carson
(203) 821-3722

Updated March 18, 2015