Skip to main content
Press Release

Fairfield Man Who Sold Heroin and Fentanyl to Deep River Overdose Victim Sentenced to Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that JOHN VIBBERT, 37, of Fairfield, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Alvin W. Thompson in Hartford to 12 months and one day of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for distributing heroin and fentanyl involved in an overdose death.

This prosecution is part of an ongoing statewide initiative targeting narcotics dealers who distribute heroin, fentanyl or opioids that cause death or serious injury to users.

According to court documents and statements made in court, in the early hours of May 31, 2016, Connecticut State Police and emergency medical personnel responded to a residence in Deep River and found an unresponsive 35-year-old male.  Although CPR was performed and Narcan was administered, the man was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The investigation, which has included analysis of the victim’s cellphone and a witness interview, revealed that, on May 30, 2016, the victim contacted VIBBERT to purchase heroin.  The victim then drove to a restaurant near I-95 in Bridgeport where he met VIBBERT to complete the purchase.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined the victim’s cause of death to be “acute heroin and fentanyl toxicities.”

VIBBERT was arrested on a criminal complaint on March 27, 2017.  On August 23, 2017, he pleaded guilty to one count of distribution of heroin and fentanyl.

VIBBERT, who is released on a $50,000 bond, was ordered to report to prison on April 30.

This matter was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Connecticut State Police, with the assistance of the Monroe Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Lauren Clark and Michael McGarry.

Updated January 30, 2018

Drug Trafficking