You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Connecticut

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, June 3, 2022

Hartford Man Charged with Firearm Offense Stemming from April Shootout

Vanessa Roberts Avery, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, David Sundberg, Special Agent in Charge of the New Haven Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, James Ferguson, Special Agent in Charge, ATF Boston Field Division, and Hartford Police Chief Jason Thody today announced that a federal grand jury in New Haven has returned an indictment charging KEJUAN WILLIAMS, 29, of Hartford, with unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon.

The indictment was returned on May 24.  Williams has been detained since his federal arrest on May 12.

As alleged in court documents, on April 18, 2022, after an unidentified shooter opened fire at individuals who were standing in a parking lot outside of a memorial gathering in Hartford, surveillance cameras at the location recorded at least nine individuals drawing firearms, and some of them returned fire.  Shot Spotter technology recorded approximately 50 shots fired within approximately 90 seconds in and around the location, and law enforcement recovered at least 31 shell casings from the scene.  Williams was present at the memorial gathering and was recorded on video brandishing a handgun and firing approximately eight times at the fleeing assailant.  He then fled the scene in a black Acura.

It is further alleged that, on April 21, 2022, Hartford Police officers located Williams’ car parked near a restaurant on Westland Street.  Williams was found inside the restaurant crouching behind a counter.  Officers apprehended Williams and seized a loaded Taurus G2C 9mm handgun on the ground where Williams had been crouching.  Investigators subsequently submitted to the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN) a test-fired shell casing from the seized handgun.  Analysis of the shell casing revealed that it matched shell casings that were recovered from the shooting on April 18.

It is alleged that Williams’ criminal history includes multiple felony convictions, including a conviction in 2015 for carrying a pistol or revolver without a permit.  It is a violation of federal law for a person previously convicted of a felony offense to possess a firearm or ammunition that has moved in interstate or foreign commerce.

If convicted of the offense, Williams faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years.

Another individual alleged to be involved in the shooting incident on April 18, Kyrin Jackson, 31, of Hartford, is currently detained in federal custody on a federal supervised release violation.  It is alleged that surveillance video shows Jackson brandishing a handgun and holding a young child while facing oncoming gunfire.

“Gunfire erupting at a memorial service attended by families and young children cannot be tolerated in any community,” said U.S. Attorney Avery.  “The reckless shooting event on April 18 may cause lasting trauma to all who witnessed it.  Based on the number of shots fired, it is fortunate that no one lost their life and only one individual was injured.  The U.S. Attorney’s Office and our law enforcement partners are committed to using the full weight of federal law to help bring an end to this senseless violence.”

“Some of those allegedly responsible for the blatant disregard of human life in this incident have been delivered to the judicial system,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Sundberg.  “We are steadfast in our conviction to seek out those who choose violence over peaceful communities.  The FBI and all of our law enforcement partners remain in lockstep in our fight against gun crimes.”

“This investigation should send a clear message that this type of violence will not be tolerated” ATF Special Agent in Charge Ferguson.  “ATF will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with our partners at the Hartford Police and the FBI to take violent offenders off the street.  The use of the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN), which allowed us to match ballistic evidence to the firearm seized, has been critical in this investigation.”

“This is another great example of technology, forensics and great police work coming together to take dangerous persons off the street and make our community safer,” said Hartford Police Chief Thody.  “We appreciate our federal partners for all that they do.”

U.S. Attorney Avery stressed that an indictment is only a charge and is not evidence of guilt.  Charges are only allegations, and a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This ongoing investigation is being conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Northern Connecticut Gang Task Force; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and the Hartford Police Department.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney John T. Pierpont, Jr.

U.S. Attorney Avery thanked the Hartford State Attorney’s Offices for its cooperation in the investigation and prosecution of this matter.

This case is part of Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), the centerpiece of the Department of Justice’s violent crime reduction efforts.  PSN is an evidence-based program proven to be effective at reducing violent crime.  Through PSN, a broad spectrum of stakeholders work together to identify the most pressing violent crime problems in the community and develop comprehensive solutions to address them.  As part of this strategy, PSN focuses enforcement efforts on the most violent offenders and partners with locally based prevention and reentry programs for lasting reductions in crime.

Topic(s): 
Project Safe Neighborhoods
Violent Crime
Firearms Offenses
Component(s): 
Updated June 3, 2022