Skip to main content
Press Release

Hartford Man Found Guilty of Gang-Related Murder

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

United States Attorney Deirdre M. Daly and Chief State’s Attorney Kevin T. Kane announced that a federal jury in New Haven has found ARTHUR STANLEY, also known as “Wiggs,” 27, guilty of committing the July 15, 2011 murder of Keith Washington, 23, of Windsor.  The trial before U.S. District Judge Jeffrey A. Meyer began on December 5 and the jury returned its verdict this afternoon.

This matter stems from a joint law enforcement investigation headed by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force into narcotics trafficking by members and associates of the Westhell and Team Grease street gangs and gang-related violent activity.  Officers and inspectors of the Cold Case Homicide Unit of the Office of the Chief State’s Attorney are participating in the investigation.

At approximately 9:28 p.m. on July 15, 2011, the Hartford Police Department received a report of shots fired in the vicinity of 67 Oakland Terrace in Hartford.  Officers responding to the scene located an unconscious person lying on the front porch of the residence with an apparent gunshot wound to the head.  The victim, who was subsequently identified as Keith Washington, was transported to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries on July 17, 2011.

According to the trial evidence and testimony, STANLEY, a member of the Westhell street gang, attempted to shoot and kill a member of a rival street gang who was talking with Washington on the front porch of 67 Oakland Terrace.  He missed his intended target and shot Washington instead.

STANLEY has been detained in federal custody since April 2014 when he was arrested on federal narcotics charges.  On October 27, 2015, a federal grand jury in New Haven returned an indictment charging STANLEY with engaging in a Violent Crime in Aid of Racketeering.

Judge Meyer scheduled sentencing for March 14, 2017, at which time STANLEY faces a mandatory term of imprisonment of life.  STANLEY previously pleaded guilty to a crack cocaine conspiracy charge, and also will be sentenced for that offense.

This ongoing investigation is being conducted by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force and the Cold Case Homicide Unit of the Office of the Chief State’s Attorney.  The FBI Task Force includes members of the Hartford Police Department, East Hartford Police Department, Connecticut State Police and Connecticut Department of Correction.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Peter S. Jongbloed and John H. Durham with the assistance of New Haven State’s Attorney Patrick Griffin, who has been cross-designated as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in this matter.

Updated December 19, 2016

Violent Crime