Skip to main content
Press Release

Hartford Man Sentenced to 46 Months in Federal Prison for Distributing Crack

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that JIMMIE SMITH, also known as “Prime,” 44, of Hartford, was sentenced today by Senior U.S. District Judge Alfred V. Covello in Hartford to 46 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for distributing crack cocaine.

According to court documents and statements made in court, this matter stems from joint law enforcement investigation headed by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force and the Hartford Police Department that targeted a drug trafficking organization operating in Hartford’s North End that was distributing crack and powder cocaine. The investigation revealed that David Gil-Grande, of Manchester, received shipments of cocaine, secreted in sealed coffee cans, from Puerto Rico. He then supplied the cocaine to Anthony Shelton, also known as “Pretty,” Gerard Brown, also known as “Goldie,” and others, who converted much of the cocaine into crack and distributed both forms of the drug in the area of Barbour Street in Hartford. Brown supplied both crack and cocaine to SMITH, and SMITH also converted cocaine into crack. He then sold the drugs to his own customers.

Twenty individuals were charged as a result of the investigation.

SMITH has been detained since his arrest on February 9, 2016. On February 14, 2017, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine base (“crack cocaine”).

SMITH has a criminal history that began in 1993 and includes eight felony convictions, including a conviction for first degree assault on which he was sentenced to 54 months of imprisonment. He also was on state probation while he engaged in the criminal conduct that resulted in this federal prosecution.

Gil-Grande, Shelton and Brown have pleaded guilty to related charges. On January 31, 2017, Gil-Grande was sentenced to 70 months of imprisonment. Shelton and Brown await sentencing.

This matter has been investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force, which includes members of the Hartford Police Department, East Hartford Police Department, Connecticut State Police and Connecticut Department of Correction. The Hartford Police Department’s Vice and Narcotics Division and the Drug Enforcement Administration have provided valuable assistance to the investigation.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian P. Leaming.

Updated June 8, 2017

Drug Trafficking