Skip to main content
Press Release

Newington Man Sentenced to 57 Months in Federal Prison for Role in Drug Ring

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that TREVON TERRY, also known as “B.J.,” 39, of Newington, was sentenced today by Senior U.S. District Judge Alfred V. Covello in Hartford to 57 months of imprisonment, followed by three years supervised release, for his role in a cocaine and crack cocaine distribution ring.

According to court documents and statements made in court, this matter stems from joint law enforcement investigation headed by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force and the Hartford Police Department that targeted a drug trafficking organization operating in Hartford’s North End that was distributing crack and powder cocaine.  The investigation revealed that David Gil-Grande, of Manchester, received shipments of cocaine, secreted in sealed coffee cans, from Puerto Rico.  He then supplied the cocaine to TERRY, Anthony Shelton, also known as “Pretty,” and Gerard Brown, also known as “Goldie,” who converted much of the cocaine into crack and distributed both forms of the drug in the area of Barbour Street in Hartford. 

Twenty individuals were charged and convicted as a result of the investigation.

TERRY has been detained since his arrest on January 21, 2016.  On that date, investigators seized $19,487 in cash from a safe in his Newington residence.

On August 31, 2017, TERRY pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

TERRY’s criminal history includes several state drug convictions, including a 2008 conviction for sale of narcotics for which he was sentenced to 11 years of incarceration, suspended after four years, and five years of probation.  He was on probation for that narcotics offense while he was engaged in the criminal conduct that led to this federal conviction.

Gil-Grande, Shelton and Brown have pleaded guilty to related charges.  On January 31, 2017, Gil-Grande was sentenced to 70 months of imprisonment.  Shelton and Brown await sentencing.

This matter was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force, which includes members of the Hartford Police Department, East Hartford Police Department, Connecticut State Police and Connecticut Department of Correction.  The Hartford Police Department’s Vice and Narcotics Division and the Drug Enforcement Administration have provided valuable assistance to the investigation. 

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian P. Leaming.

Updated December 18, 2017

Drug Trafficking