Skip to main content
Press Release

Overdose Investigation Results in 7-Year Sentence for Waterbury Man

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that JEREMY WAVER, 31, of Waterbury, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Jeffrey A. Meyer to 84 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for distributing controlled substances.

This matter stems from an ongoing statewide initiative targeting narcotics dealers who distribute heroin, fentanyl or opioids that cause death or serious injury to users.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on April 2, 2017, Ansonia Police and emergency medical personnel responded to a report of an overdose death at an Ansonia residence.  At the residence, responders encountered a deceased 23-year-old female.  Investigators collected evidence including a hypodermic needle and several wax folds of a substance that was later determined to contain furanyl fentanyl.   Investigators also seized the victim’s iPhone.

The investigation revealed that, on April 1, the victim and another individual purchased heroin from WAVER in Waterbury.

WAVER was arrested in Waterbury on May 4.  At the time of his arrest, WAVER possessed more than 100 wax folds of substances that contained heroin, U-47700 (a synthetic opioid), fentanyl, and furanyl fentanyl.  In addition, WAVER possessed a quantity of crack cocaine.  Many of the folds were stamped with the same image found on the folds recovered at the scene of the victim’s overdose death.

On December 4, 2017, WAVER pleaded guilty to one count of possession with intent to distribute, and distribution of, controlled substances.

WAVER’s criminal history includes numerous drug convictions.

As part of the sentence, Judge Meyer ordered WAVER to pay restitution of $4,503.96 to the victim’s father to cover the a portion of the victim’s funeral expenses.

This matter was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New Haven Tactical Diversion Squad and the Ansonia Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Laraia. 

Updated February 28, 2018

Drug Trafficking