Skip to main content
Press Release

Windsor Man Pleads Guilty to Enticing Minor to Engage in Sex

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that ANDREW CUNNINGHAM, 38, formerly of Windsor, waived his right to be indicted and pleaded guilty today before U.S. District Judge Janet Bond Arterton in New Haven to one count of count of enticement of a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity.

According to court documents and statements made in court, in March 2017, Cunningham began communicating with a 13-year-old female on Omegle, a website and mobile application designed to pair strangers for text and video chats.  Cunningham first told the minor victim that he was 17, and later stated he was 25.  Cunningham and the minor victim then communicated via text messaging and phone calls for approximately one week.  During that time, Cunningham enticed the minor victim to send him sexually explicit images of herself, and attempted to lure her to travel to Connecticut.

Cunningham has been in state custody since May 2, 2017, when he was arrested on related state charges.  He pleaded guilty in state court to illegal sexual contact with a minor and enticement of a minor, and is currently serving a three-year state sentence.

Cunningham was a registered sex offender and was on probation at the time of the offense.  In 2014, Cunningham traveled to Illinois and engaged in sexual activity with a 14-year-old girl.  He had told the girl he was 25 years old when, in fact, he was 34 at the time.  In 2015, he was convicted in Illinois of aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a minor and was sentenced to five years in prison and two years of mandatory supervised release.  He was released from prison in December 2016.

Judge Arterton scheduled sentencing for February 15, 2019, at which time Cunningham faces a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 10 years and a maximum term of imprisonment of life.

This matter is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Connecticut State Police, with the assistance of Connecticut State Parole.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Nancy V. Gifford.

Updated November 6, 2018

Project Safe Childhood