Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Maryland

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cambridge Man Pleads Guilty To Attempted Murder Of A U.s. Marshals Service Task Force Officer

Defendant Fired Many Shots at Officers Serving Him With an Arrest Warrant

Baltimore, Maryland – Tayvon Dobson, age 23, of Cambridge, Maryland, pleaded guilty today to attempted murder of a federal officer and using a gun during the attempted murder.

The guilty plea was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Steven L. Gerido of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - Baltimore Field Division; Dorchester County State’s Attorney William H. Jones; Cambridge Police Chief Kenneth W. Malik; U.S. Marshal Johnny Hughes; Dorchester County Sheriff James W. Phillips, Jr.; and Colonel Marcus L. Brown, Superintendent of the Maryland State Police.

According to his plea agreement, on February 29, 2012, members of the Maryland State Apprehension Team/Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force of the U.S. Marshals Service and the Cambridge, Maryland Police Department arrived at a residence divided into individual apartments on Hubbard Street in Cambridge to serve an arrest warrant for Dobson. The arrest warrant charged Dobson with first degree assault and other related charges.

A Task Force detective and a supervisory inspector wore official tactical style police vests with bright yellow or white letters signifying “SHERIFF” or “Police US MARSHAL” across the back along with a Task Force or a “Police US Marshal” patch on the front. Shortly after their entry into one of the apartments, Dobson’s movements were heard across the hall in apartment #1. Officers shouted at Dobson to open the door. Within minutes gunshots from apartment #1 were directed at law enforcement located outside the residence at their unmarked police vehicles. After the Task Force detective in apartment #2 realized that he could not safely escape that apartment through the hallway, he barricaded the bedroom door with a mattress and dresser.

Shots continued to ring out from apartment #1 as other officers yelled to Dobson to surrender. After several minutes of gunfire, the detective heard Dobson reload a firearm and Dobson began to shoot again. The detective was able to see into the hallway and the front door of apartment #1. Seconds later, the detective saw Dobson leave the apartment and stop in the hallway. Dobson saw the detective no more than 15 feet away and began to fire. The detective fired back while still barricaded in the bedroom of apartment #2. After several volleys of gunfire, the detective felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder, but continued to fire at Dobson. When Dobson left the hallway, the detective saw blood rapidly coming from his wound. The detective broke through the bedroom window and rolled out to the ground. Once on the ground he ran with other officers to safety. He was taken to a hospital where he had surgery.

Dobson continued to shoot at the remaining officers. Four hours after law enforcement first entered the building, Dobson finally surrendered. All of the rooms of Dobson’s residence were riddled with bullet holes. Three firearms were seized, two of which had been used to fire from inside the apartment, as well as a magazine, several rounds of live ammunition and numerous spent shell casings and projectiles.

Dobson and the government have agreed that if the Court accepts the plea agreement Dobson will be sentenced to between 24 and 30 years in prison. U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake scheduled his sentencing for October 31, 2013 at 11:00 a.m.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the ATF, Dorchester County State’s Attorney’s Office, Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force of the United States Marshals Service, Cambridge Police Department, U.S. Marshals Service, Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office and the Maryland State Police for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Debra L. Dwyer, who is prosecuting the case.

Updated January 26, 2015