Skip to main content

Civil Rights


The United States Attorney’s Office is committed to protecting the civil and constitutional rights of all Americans, particularly some of the most vulnerable members of our society.

In partnership with the Civil Rights Division and other federal agencies, we enforce federal laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, color, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, familial status, and citizenship.  We also enforce other laws that protect service members, veterans, voting rights, prisoner rights, and educational opportunities. For a list and description of the various federal civil rights laws the Department of Justice enforces, click here.  

The office welcomes information from the public that brings our attention to possible violations of our nation's civil rights laws. The office represents the United States of America and does not have the authority to represent individuals in their pursuit of private civil rights claims for damages, except under very limited instances specifically authorized by law. 

How to Report

Criminal Violations

Criminal civil rights matters typically involve causing or attempting to cause injury (or threats to do so) because of the victim’s race, color, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. These types of cases are generally investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”) before being referred to our office. To report a criminal civil rights violation, call the Charlotte FBI Field Office: 704-672-6100.

  • If you or someone else is in immediate danger, please call 911.
  • If you need assistance with shelter, food, or emergency support, please call 211.

Civil Violations

If you wish to report a civil rights violation or discrimination that does not involve threats or injury, you can report online directly at

You can also contact the Civil Rights Division at: 202-514-3847, or TTY: 202-514-0716.

We are unable to respond to every complaint, but we will carefully consider all information you provide. Reporting an alleged violation to our office is not the same thing as filing a lawsuit. Because we do not represent individuals, if you believe your civil rights have been violated and you wish to bring a lawsuit, you should also contact a private attorney.

To find an attorney:


External Resources

Many civil rights claims must be investigated first by another federal agency before being referred to the Department of Justice for further action. In addition to filing a report with the Department of Justice, you should also contact one of the below agencies if your claim relates to one of the topics below:


In addition to pursuing violations of federal civil rights laws, representatives from our office also conduct outreach and training in the community. We have previously conducted outreach relating to:

  • The Department of Justice’s efforts to prevent sexual harassment in housing
  • The Barrier-Free Healthcare Initiative, ensuring freedom from disability discrimination in access to medical services
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act’s protections for individuals with opioid use disorder
  • Identifying and investigating hate crimes

If you are interested in hosting a speaker from our office or otherwise partnering with our office for community outreach or training, please contact

Prior Settlements and Initiatives


Updated April 13, 2023