Skip to main content
Press Release

Greensboro Man Who Barricaded Himself and Fired on Law Enforcement Sentenced to 46 Years in Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Middle District of North Carolina

GREENSBORO, N.C. - A Greensboro man was sentenced on January 5, 2022, in federal court in Greensboro for knowingly possessing with intent to distribute marihuana, possessing firearms in furtherance of that offense, possessing firearms after a previous felony conviction, and possessing body armor after having been convicted of a crime of violence, announced United States Attorney Sandra J. Hairston of the Middle District of North Carolina.

RANDALL GRAY STONEMAN, age 52, was convicted at trial of the above referenced offenses on August 24, 2021. STONEMAN was acquitted of a charge related to maintaining drug-involved premises. Testimony at trial established that STONEMAN barricaded himself in a residence on Boxer Lane in Greensboro in the early morning hours of April 29, 2020. Armed with two Remington 12-gauge shotguns, a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, a Colt .223 caliber semiautomatic rifle, ammunition, and wearing a ballistic vest, STONEMAN engaged in an hours’ long standoff with law enforcement officers, firing at them intermittently over that time-period. GCSO Deputies and GPD Detectives ultimately recovered from the home, after deploying devices causing STONEMAN to surrender, four boxes of ammunition, 58 additional live rounds, and 36 spent rounds. Also recovered was approximately 106 grams of marihuana.

United States District Judge William L. Osteen, Jr., sentenced STONEMAN to a total of 552 months in federal prison. In addition to the prison time, STONEMAN was ordered to serve concurrent two-year, three-year, and five-year terms of supervised release after service of sentence and to pay a special assessment of $400.00.

The case was investigated by the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office, the Greensboro Police Department, and the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Veronica L. Edmisten and Clifton T. Barrett.


Updated January 6, 2022