Three Individuals Indicted and Arrested for Conspiracy to Distribute Fentanyl and Cocaine and for Selling Machineguns
SAN JUAN, P.R. – On May 4, 2017, a federal grand jury returned a three-count indictment against Nestor Morales-Cortijo, A.K.A. “Papum,” and José Vázquez-Millán for carjacking and using a firearm during a crime of violence, announced United States Attorney Rosa Emilia Rodríguez-Vélez. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is in charge of the investigation.
The indictment alleges that on or about April 27, 2017, in the District of Puerto Rico, Morales-Cortijo and Vázquez-Millán, while carrying and brandishing a firearm, did take a motor vehicle, to wit: a green, 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer, that had been transported, shipped or received in interstate or foreign commerce, from the presence of an adult female, by force, violence and intimidation, with the intent to cause death or serious bodily injury, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2119(1) and 2.
Defendant José Vázquez-Millán is facing one count for being felon in possession of ammunitions, having been convicted in court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year. Vázquez Millán did knowingly and unlawfully possess thirty-two (32) rounds of 9mm ammunition, said ammunition having been shipped and transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
In a separate criminal complaint authorized by US Magistrate Judge Bruce McGiverin, Jonathan Fuentes-Millán was charged for possession of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence and carjacking. On or about April 27, 2017, a female victim arrived to her residence, located at Loiza, Puerto Rico and parked her blue Toyota Prius in the driveway. Also at the residence was her husband, and two children. Shortly after, the victims heard gunshots outside. They attempted to close the front door when a male individual, accompanied by two others, demanded the car keys to the Prius, which they turned over. The males used the keys to start the vehicle, but then fled the area on foot.
Officers arrived at the scene and noticed bullet casings on the ground and blood stains along the exterior wall of the residence. Officers followed the blood stains and walked toward the adjacent property which is under construction and has open access. Inside the property they found Fuentes-Millán holding a black rifle loaded with a magazine, and two additional magazines in his waist band.
“These defendants planned and carjacked defenseless victims,” said US Attorney Rosa Emilia Rodríguez-Vélez. “These defendants will be brought to justice through the hard work of federal and state law enforcement agents and our prosecutors.”
“As always, the public’s help is essential to apprehending these violent criminals, and citizens with information are asked to call the FBI San Juan Field Office at 787-754-6000, or to use the tip line available at our website, http://www.fbi.gov,” said Douglas A. Leff, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI, San Juan Field Office.
The cases are being prosecuted by Special Assistant United States Attorney Ana M. Santiago-Ramírez. If convicted, the defendants face up to 15 years of imprisonment for the carjacking charge (Count One), and up to life imprisonment for the firearms charge (Count Two). Indictments contain only charges and are not evidence of guilt. Defendants are presumed to be innocent until and unless proven guilty.