Skip to main content
Press Release

Rock Hill Man Sentenced to Maximum of 10 Years on Firearm and Ammunition Charge

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Carolina

Contact Person: Stacey Haynes (803) 929-3000

Columbia, South Carolina ---- United States Attorney Bill Nettles stated today that Clarence L. Rhodes, age 37, of Rock Hill, South Carolina was sentenced to the maximum sentence of 120 months (10 years) imprisonment today in federal court.  Earlier this year, Rhodes plead guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 922(g)(1).  United States District Judge Joseph F. Anderson, Jr. imposed the sentence, which will be followed by three (3) years of supervised release.

Evidence presented at the change of plea hearing established that at approximately 11:34 pm on June 15, 2013, York Police Department officers received a call about an intoxicated man in the roadway.  Officers responded to the scene and found Rhodes, who appeared to be grossly intoxicated, staggering in the roadway.  Rhodes attempted to flee, but fell.  Rhodes was placed under arrest for public intoxication and a search incident to arrest revealed a Smith and Wesson .32 caliber handgun in his back right pocket, along with 1.9 grams of crack cocaine.  The firearm was loaded with one live round and five spent casings.  Rhodes admitted that the firearm belonged to him.

Rhodes is prohibited under federal law from possessing firearms and/or ammunition based upon his prior state convictions, which include convictions for assault of a high and aggravated nature (2 separate convictions), conspiracy to violate SC drug laws, distribution of crack cocaine, distribution of crack cocaine near a school, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine 2nd offense, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine near a school, assault and battery (3 separate convictions), malicious injury to real property, receiving/possessing stolen goods, trespassing, false information to police, unlawful carrying of a pistol, unlawful communication/unlawful use of telephone (2 separate counts), resisting arrest, and stalking.

The case was investigated by the York Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and was prosecuted as part of the joint federal, state and local Project CeaseFire initiative, which aggressively prosecutes firearm cases.  Assistant United States Attorney Stacey D. Haynes of the Columbia office handled the case.

Updated January 26, 2015