Skip to main content
Press Release

Columbus Man Who Burglarized Hebron Gun Store Sentenced To 151 Months In Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Ohio
CONTACT: Fred Alverson
Public Affairs Officer

COLUMBUS – Charles H. Morrison III, 26, of Columbus, was sentenced in U.S. District Court to 151 months in prison for burglarizing a gun store in Hebron and stealing 18 guns on March 20, 2013.

Carter M. Stewart, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, Michael Boxler, Special Agent in Charge for the Columbus Field Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and Hebron Police Chief D. James Dean announced the sentence handed down yesterday by Senior U.S. District Judge George C. Smith.

James Allen Banks, 24, of Marion was sentenced by Senior U.S. District Judge James L. Graham on January 3, 2014 to 50 months in prison for his role in the same crime.

Banks pleaded guilty Monday, September 23. Morrison pleaded guilty on September 26, 2013.
Each man pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of stolen firearms. Each man also pleaded guilty to one count of possession of three firearms with obliterated serial numbers and unlawful burglary of a licensed firearm dealer.

According to court documents, Morrison and Banks went into Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron on March 20, 2013. Morrison attempted to hide in the ceiling, but left the store after an employee saw him. Morrison later broke the back glass door to gain entry to the store. ATF agents and Hebron police officers reviewed surveillance video and obtained search warrants for two residences used by Morrison and Bank’s residence. They recovered three of the firearms, ammunition, and tools that could be used to obliterate serial numbers on firearms.

ATF agents arrested both men on April 30, 2013. Both have been in custody since their arrests.  Morrison was also ordered to pay restitution of $5,333.47.

U.S. Attorney Stewart commended the cooperative investigation by federal and local law enforcement agencies, as well as Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Michael Marous, who prosecuted the case.

#   #   #
Updated July 23, 2015