Skip to main content
Press Release

Kickapoo Woman Pleads Guilty to Felony Murder of Grandson in Casino Parking Lot

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Oklahoma
Boy Found Dead in Car After Six Hours in Summer Heat

OKLAHOMA CITY – ALANNA JEAN ORR, 50, of Oklahoma City, has pleaded guilty to felony murder in the second degree by child neglect in Indian Country, announced U.S. Attorney Timothy J. Downing.

According to an affidavit in support of a search warrant signed in Oklahoma County District Court on July 17, 2018, Orr was caring for her five-year-old grandson on June 21, 2018, when she went to the Kickapoo Casino in Harrah.  The affidavit explained that, according to surveillance video, Orr arrived at the casino at 1:23 p.m. and left at 7:28 p.m.  It was alleged that during this time, her grandson remained in the car.  The high temperature in Harrah that day was allegedly ninety degrees.

Approximately fifteen minutes after she left the casino, according to the affidavit, Orr called 911 and reported her grandson had choked and was not breathing.  The affidavit stated Harrah police officers met Orr at the Harrah Police Department and attempted to resuscitate the child but found that rigor mortis had already begun.

On April 17, 2019, a federal grand jury returned an indictment that charged Orr with second degree felony murder by child neglect in Indian Country.  In particular, it alleged Orr, who is a member of the Kickapoo Tribe, caused the death of a child by willfully failing to provide adequate shelter and supervision while she was responsible for the child’s health, safety, and welfare.  This crime is subject to federal jurisdiction because the defendant and victim are Indians and the offense took place on tribal trust land.

Today Orr pleaded guilty to the indictment.  During a hearing before U.S. District Judge Scott L. Palk, she admitted she caused her grandson’s death by leaving him unattended on a hot summer afternoon in the back seat of her car with no air conditioning.

Orr faces a maximum potential penalty of life in prison and a fine of $250,000.  She could also face up to five years of supervised release after any prison sentence.

This case is a result of an investigation by the Harrah Police Department, the Kickapoo Tribal Police Department, the Oklahoma District 23 Drug Task Force, the District Attorney’s Offices for Cleveland, Lincoln, and Pottawatomie Counties, and the FBI Oklahoma City Division.  Assistant U.S. Attorneys Mark R. Stoneman and Mary E. Walters are prosecuting the case, with assistance from Cleveland County Assistant District Attorney Pattye High.

Reference is made to public filings for more information.

Updated July 31, 2019

Indian Country Law and Justice