Skip to main content
Press Release

Dyersburg Man Sentenced to 40 Years for Assault of a Federal Officer with a Deadly Weapon

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Tennessee

Jackson, TN – Bobby Joe Claybrook, Jr., 41, has been sentenced to 40 years in federal prison for 
assault on a federal officer with a deadly weapon and discharging a weapon during and relation to a 
crime of violence. United States Attorney Kevin Ritz announced the sentence today.

United States Attorney Ritz stated: “This defendant pled guilty to committing a violent assault on 
federal law enforcement officers. That’s an extremely serious crime, deserving of this extremely 
serious sentence. The United States will not hesitate to bring significant resources to bear when 
citizens attack our law enforcement partners.”

United States Marshal Tyreece Miller added: “Law enforcement are public servants that place their 
lives on the line everyday, enforcing laws throughout our communities. Sadly, the possibility of 
physical danger and harm are part of what it means to wear a badge. But trying to hurt a Deputy 
U.S. Marshal has serious consequences. We are glad our Deputy Marshals weren’t seriously injured, 
and thankful for the steadfast work of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in bringing this case to 

According to information presented in court, on August 3, 2020, the United States Marshals received 
information that Bobby Joe Claybrook, Jr. was wanted by the Dyersburg Police Department for 
attempted second degree homicide and for being a felon in possession of firearm. On November 2, 
2020, agents located the defendant at a duplex in Jackson, Tennessee. Federal agents and local law 
enforcement, all wearing clothing and badges that clearly established themselves as law enforcement 
officials, approached the residence. Prior to the team stepping onto the porch to knock on the 
door, Claybrook began firing on the team through the small porch window. A task force officer was 
hit in his arm, leg, and another officer was struck by a round from Claybrook’s firearm. The
officers were treated for their injuries at the hospital and released.

Several other officers were pinned alongside the house until the Jackson Police Department SWAT 
Team arrived to assist them. The SWAT team took over the scene and negotiated the surrender of 
Claybrook after a lengthy standoff.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation personnel executed a search warrant of the residence and located 
a 9mm firearm and several 9mm shell casings inside the residence near the window where Claybrook 
carried out his assault on law enforcement.  As a result of Claybrook’s prior felony convictions, 
he is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms and ammunition.

On October 28, 2022, Chief United States District Judge S. Thomas Anderson sentenced Claybrook to 
480 months in federal prison to be followed by five years of supervised release. There is no parole 
in the federal system.

This case was investigated by the United States Marshals Service, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, 
Firearms and Explosives, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Jackson-Madison County Narcotics, and 
the Jackson Police Department SWAT Team.

United States Attorney Kevin Ritz thanked Assistant United States Attorney Hillary Lawler Parham, 
who prosecuted this case.


For more information, please contact Public Information Officer Cherri Green at 901-544-4231 or Follow@WDTNNews on Twitter for office news and updates.

Updated November 1, 2022