You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of Tennessee

Friday, June 1, 2018

Two Memphis Men Sentenced to a Total of 250 Months Imprisonment for Robbing Family Dollar Store

Memphis, TN – Two Memphis men have been sentenced to a total of 250 months in federal prison for committing an armed robbery affecting interstate commerce. U.S. Attorney D. Michael Dunavant for the Western District of Tennessee announced the sentences today.

According to information presented in court, on January 21, 2017, at approximately 9:40 p.m., Trentell Razor, 22, and Lareco Brooks, 21, entered the Family Dollar store at 2912 Coleman in Memphis. The men were dressed in black clothing and their faces were covered. Razor jumped over the counter and headed to the back of the store where he saw a customer with her young daughter. He advised them to stay where they were.

U.S. Attorney D. Michael Dunavant said:" The senselessness of gun violence has a long lasting effect on victims of armed robbery, and also has a corresponding long lasting consequence for such lawless offenders. These sentences make clear that there will always be a reckoning for the commission of violent crimes."

Brooks, armed with a sawed-off shotgun, put the shotgun to the neck of one of the two employees in the store, grabbed her by the shirt, and threw her to the ground. He then grabbed the second employee by the back of her shirt collar, pulled her across the counter and put the shotgun to her temple. He ordered her to open the register. Razor took money from the drawer and the two men fled on foot. A tracking device hidden in the bills enabled law enforcement to track the men to a Kia Spectra. When officers began following the vehicle, the men sped off and a police pursuit ensued. During the police chase, Brooks asked Razor to pull over and let him out. Razor complied and Brooks fled on foot, throwing the sawed-off shotgun in his wake. Razor finally stopped the vehicle and surrendered to police. Brooks was apprehended several days later on an unrelated charge.

On May 24, 2018, U.S. District Judge John T. Fowlkes, Jr. sentenced the men to a total of 250 months imprisonment.

This case was investigated by the FBI’s Safe Streets Task Force.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Karen Hartridge prosecuted this case on the government’s behalf.

Updated June 1, 2018