All stores will at all times during approved hours of operation offer delivery service to all customers located within the store's delivery and service area. All deliveries must be made in strict compliance with all laws, regulations, rules of the road and due care and caution in the operation of delivery vehicles. Delivery service may be limited in areas that might present a danger to employees, but only under limited circumstances, and only in accordance with the provisions of this Standard.
NO EMPLOYEE IN ANY STORE SHALL EVER REFUSE OR LIMIT DELIVERY SERVICE BECAUSE OF FACTORS SUCH AS RACE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC PROTECTED BY LAW.
A Limited Delivery Service Policy shall be implemented in each store, and shall be communicated to all employees in the store. The Limited Delivery service Policy shall include, at a minimum, all of the following:
- A conspicuous statement that NO EMPLOYEE SHALL EVER REFUSE OR LIMIT DELIVERY SERVICE BECAUSE OF FACTORS SUCH AS RACE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, OR ANY OTHER CHARACTERISTIC PROTECTED BY LAW.
- A procedure for the evaluation of the Delivery and Service Area. This shall include obtaining objective information about the possibility that an area may not be reasonably safe at all times, and that an area that was once considered unsafe needs to be re-evaluated.
- A procedure for the orderly and systematic investigation of an area that is suspected to be unsafe for deliveries at all times. Such a procedure may include directions for:
- Collecting documents that establish the reason for limiting delivery service, including, but not limited to, worker's compensation claim information; police reports; any internal reports or letters; any other information involving any incident in the delivery area; newspaper articles; computer tapes and any other relevant information;
- Documenting discussions with local law enforcement personnel about safety and security incidents in an area;
- Preserving records of meetings with local business or community leaders about safety and security in an area;
- Consulting with your attorney to ensure compliance with Federal, state and local laws and ordinances;
- Obtaining information about the delivery business practices of other local businesses;
- Collecting any other information that may support the decision to limit delivery service;
- Training employees to courteously, politely, and efficiently handle concerns from customers;
- A procedure for reviewing annually, or more frequently as circumstances may warrant, any decision to limit delivery service to determine if the situation has changed so as to permit offering service to all customers;
- An emergency response procedure that provides for the immediate but temporary limitation or suspension of delivery service in an area if situations warrant;
- An outline of disciplinary actions which may be taken against employees who willfully violate this standard.
Rev. 12/9/1999 > >