Skip to main content
Press Release

Houston, Texas, Man Sentenced To 33 Years For April 2011 Murder

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Missouri

St. Louis, MO - LODGY MICHAEL JACKSON of Houston, TX, was sentenced to 400 months imprisonment for the murder of Jamie Benson, of Houston, TX, on April 22, 2011.  In February, Jackson pleaded guilty to three counts: conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute over 500 grams of cocaine; conspiracy to possess a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime and discharging a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime where death resulted.  Jackson was sentenced today by United States District Court Judge Audrey G. Fleissig.

According to court documents, in early April 2011, Jackson, co-defendants Scott Compton and Andreus O’Bryant, along with others, joined in a conspiracy that included robbing and murdering victim Benson within the City of St. Louis after luring Benson from Houston to St. Louis.  Compton was recruited by O’Bryant to act as an individual interested in purchasing over 500 grams of cocaine from Benson for an inflated price.  Compton played that role.  In doing so, Compton, along with O’Bryant and Jackson, convinced Mr. Benson that a drug transaction was going to occur when, in reality, O’Bryant, Jackson and others intended to rob Benson of the cocaine and murder him. 

Jackson, who was friends with Benson from living in Houston together, was brought to St. Louis, Missouri, by O’Bryant for purposes of carrying out the murder in exchange for compensation from O’Bryant.  In the early morning hours of April 22, 2011, Jackson and Benson sat inside O’Bryant’s vehicle that was parked in a St. Louis alley.  Benson was in the front passenger seat.  Jackson sat directly behind him.  To facilitate Benson’s murder, Jackson initiated a heated argument with Benson.  As the argument continued, Jackson mouthed the words “watch this” to another passenger inside O’Bryant’s vehicle.  Jackson then fired one shot into the back of Benson’s head from a firearm Jackson possessed.  Jackson and others abandoned Benson's body in the alley, where it was later discovered by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.  Jackson, O’Bryant and others undertook significant efforts to cover up the conspiracy and destroy evidence of the crime, but were ultimately unsuccessful.

Jackson is the second of three defendants to be sentenced in this matter.  Compton pleaded guilty for his involvement and has been sentenced to 5 years imprisonment.  O’Bryant has also pleaded guilty.  He awaits sentencing on February 10, 2014.

This case was investigated by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; the United States Marshals Service; the Franklin County Sheriff's Department and the St. Charles County Police Department.

Updated March 19, 2015