Skip to main content
Press Release

Saint Louis Man Sentenced to 25 Years for Shooting Federal Officer

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Missouri

Saint Louis, MO – Johnzell Moorehead, 30, of Saint Louis, MO, was sentenced to 25 years in prison on one count of discharging a firearm in furtherance of assaulting a federal law enforcement officer.  Wines appeared today before U.S. District Judge John A. Ross who imposed the sentence. 

According to court documents, Moorehead and an associate, Daryaun Wines, were travelling inside a vehicle in the early morning hours of October 12, 2017.  Earlier that day, Moorehead and Wines had been involved in an altercation with another individual resulting in that individuals being shot. 

Concerned about possibly retaliation from that earlier shooting, Moorehead and Wines were being followed by two additional associates who were in a separate vehicle.  Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Federal Officer Archie Shaw was on-duty and, as part of an on-going investigation into drug distribution activity, began to follow the second of the two vehicles.  Special Federal Officer Shaw was utilizing an unmarked law enforcement vehicle. 

Moorehead and Wines noticed Special Federal Officer Shaw’s vehicle.  Moorehead and Wines split-up from their other associates (who were being followed by Special Federal Officer Shaw).  The vehicle being followed by Special Federal Officer Shaw intentionally led Special Federal Officer Shaw to the intersection of Miami and Iowa streets within the City of Saint Louis.  As Special Federal Officer Shaw drove through the intersection, Wines and Moorehead shot Special Federal Officer Shaw.  Wines and Moorehead traveled to that location for the purpose of committing the shooting.

Special Federal Officer Shaw’s vehicle was struck several times by the gunfire.  Special Federal Officer Shaw himself was also struck by gunfire.  After being shot, Special Federal Officer Shaw was able to drive himself to safety.  Moorehead and his associates fled the area.

“Officer Shaw has shown great courage throughout this investigation and during his almost 30 years of service and dedication to the citizens of St. Louis. The St. Louis Police Department appreciates the continued support and assistance we’ve received from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the FBI and all our federal partners in this case,” state Chief John Hayden, St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.

"The importance of Officer Archie Shaw to this community can be understood by law enforcement’s relentless and wide ranging response in the immediate aftermath of his October 12, 2017, shooting and throughout the almost three years since the incident occurred,” said Assistant United States Attorney Thomas Rea after today's proceeding. 

Rea continued, “Law enforcement has held Mr. Moorehead and Daryaun Wines accountable for their actions.  In the course of doing so, officials also dismantled an entire drug organization resulting in five additional federal prosecutions.  That is a total of seven federal prosecutions arising out of the shooting of Officer Shaw.  Offense conduct such as this cannot and will never go unchecked by the United States Attorney’s Office.  We hope that these sentences of 25 years for Mr. Moorehead and 17 years for Mr. Wines make that clear.” 

The Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Department, with the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, investigated this case. 

Updated February 13, 2020

Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime