Skip to main content
Press Release

St. Louis County Man Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Repeatedly Robbing QuikTrip Stores

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Missouri

ST. LOUIS – U.S. District Judge Stephen R. Clark on Thursday sentenced a man who repeatedly robbed St. Louis area QuikTrip stores to 20 years in prison.

Terrence Gleason, now 53, of Bel Ridge, Missouri, stole cigarettes from or robbed three QuikTrip stores, including one in Bel Ridge that he victimized three times.

On Dec. 5, 2021, at about 2:30 a.m., Gleason entered the QuikTrip at 9099 Natural Bridge in Bel Ridge, walked behind the counter and began filling a bag with cartons of cigarettes. When the clerk tried to activate an alarm, Gleason lifted his shirt to show a holstered handgun. Gleason then left with the stolen cigarettes.

Gleason returned about 24 hours later. The same clerk was working. Gleason had one hand in the front pocket of his coat and the clerk believed Gleason was armed because of his actions the night before. Gleason demanded cigarettes and left with multiple cartons.

On Dec. 10, 2021, at about 3:00 a.m., Gleason and another man entered the QuikTrip at 5909 Howdershell Road in Hazelwood. The pair walked behind the checkout counter and began removing cartons of cigarettes. When an employee tried to trigger the alarm, Gleason’s accomplice pulled back his jacket, displayed a firearm and said, “Press something, I dare you.” Gleason and the man left with multiple cartons of cigarettes. 

On Dec. 11, 2021, at approximately 4:12 a.m., Gleason returned to the Bel Ridge QuikTrip, walked up to the counter, reached over it, and opened a drawer where cigarette cartons were stored. He grabbed several cartons, then approached the clerk who witnessed the two prior incidents and said, “I need Newports,” while grabbing at his waistband. The clerk, who believed Gleason had a gun and tried to comply, said they were out. Gleason walked behind the counter, grabbed several packages of other cigarettes and left.

On Dec. 12, 2021, at about 4:30 a.m., Gleason entered the QuikTrip located at 11150 St. Charles Rock Road in St. Ann and robbed the store at gunpoint, taking $85 from one cash register.

Gleason pleaded guilty in August in U.S. District Court in St. Louis to three robbery charges, one charge of possessing and brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence and one count of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence. 

The FBI, the Normandy Police Department, the St. Ann Police Department, and the Hazelwood Police Department investigated the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Szczucinski prosecuted the case.


Robert Patrick, Public Affairs Officer,

Updated March 28, 2024

Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime