Skip to main content
Press Release

St. Louis Man Pleads Guilty to Killing Laclede Cab Driver

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Missouri

St. Louis, MO – James Flannel, 37, of St. Louis, MO, pleaded guilty this morning to one count of discharging a firearm in furtherance of carjacking that resulted in the death of Boris Iouioukine, a Laclede Cab Company driver.  Flannel appeared before U.S. District Judge E. Richard Webber who accepted his plea and set his sentencing date for October 31, 2019.

According to the plea agreement, Flannel was in the possession of a nine-millimeter firearm and magazine on June 25, 2018.  Flannel called the Laclede Cab Company and ordered a taxi.  A red minivan taxi being driven by victim Boris Iouioukine responded to Flannel’s request.  Flannel got into the taxi at approximately 8:52 p.m.  Flannel was armed with the nine millimeter firearm when he entered the taxi.

At approximately 9:14 p.m. while inside the taxi, Flannel shot and killed Boris Iouioukine with the nine-millimeter pistol.  The shooting occurred inside the cab while the taxi was present in 2500 block of East Dodier within the City of St. Louis.  Boris Iouioukine’s body was left in the street by Flannel.  Flannel drove the taxi from the area after the shooting.  Flannel drove the taxi to the area of Castle Point in Saint Louis County, Missouri.  Flannel parked the taxi at the driveway of a residence in the 10000 block of Duke Drive and fled. 

At approximately 9:26 p.m., the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department received calls for help relative to a man down in the middle of the street.  Police and the fire department responded and located Boris Iouioukine.  Paramedics pronounced Boris Iouioukine dead at the scene.   

Victim Borsi Iouioukine’s taxi was located by police on the morning of June 26, 2018.  Among other things, a nine-millimeter shell casing was located and seized from the driver’s side floorboard.  Other items were seized from inside the taxi, including a water bottle.  Analysis of the water bottle located Flannel’s print on it.  Flannel was charged by way of federal complaint on June 27, 2018.   

On August 10, 2018, investigators initiated an investigation within Spanish Lake Park in an effort to locate and recover the nine millimeter firearm utilized by Flannel during the armed carjacking and murder.  A search within the park eventually located a Taurus make, Millennium G2 model, nine millimeter semi-automatic pistol.  The firearm was operable and loaded with 13 rounds.  It was seized.  Subsequent ballistic analysis of the firearm confirmed that the shell casing recovered from the within taxi was fired from the nine millimeter firearm located and seized from within Spanish Lake Park.       

The charge of discharging a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence resulting in death carries a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 10 years to life.  In determining the actual sentences, a judge is required to consider the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, which provide recommended sentencing ranges.  As part of Flannel’s plea agreement, the parties will recommend at the time of sentencing that a sentence of life imprisonment be imposed.

"We continue to work tirelessly to reduce violence and the number of murders that occur within our community.  Our entire office is dedicated to it.  When a guilty plea like this is achieved, it is important to acknowledge the hard work and dedication our law enforcement partners expend to bring the culprit to justice as soon as a murder, or any crime for that matter, occurs,” said United States Attorney Jeff Jensen following Flannel’s guilty plea.  “Boris Iouioukine was a superb, hardworking, valued member of our community.  His murder was senseless.  We hope today’s guilty plea brings some measure of solace to Mr. Iouioukine’s family, co-workers, and all of those who loved him.”

“The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department greatly appreciates the continued assistance of the U.S. Attorney’s Office. This partnership, coupled with the perseverance of all the law enforcement agencies involved in this investigation, led to today’s guilty plea. I hope this display of justice will help us combat these violent incidents that occur in our region,” said Chief John Hayden, St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.

This case was made possible, in part, by investigative leads generated from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN). NIBIN is the only national network that allows for the capture and comparison of ballistic evidence to aid in solving and preventing violent crimes involving firearms. NIBIN is a proven investigative and intelligence tool that can link firearms from multiple crime scenes, allowing law enforcement to quickly disrupt shooting cycles. For more information on NIBIN, visit

“This case demonstrates the effectiveness of using ballistic intelligence to identify those using firearms to commit violent crimes in our community.  By targeting these offenders we are able to disrupt the shooting cycle that fuels violence and instantly make neighborhoods safer,” said Marino Vidoli, ATF Special Agent in Charge.

The St. Louis Metropolitan and St. Louis County Police Departments; United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and the Metro West Fire Protection District’s Dive/Rescue Response Team investigated this case.

Updated August 2, 2019

Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime