Skip to main content
Press Release

St. Louis Man Sentenced for Carjacking and Robbing a 7-11 Store

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Missouri

St. Louis, MO – Jevantae Phillips, 22, St. Louis, was sentenced to 11 years in prison for carjacking, brandishing a firearm during a federal crime of violence and robbery charges.  He appeared in federal court today before U.S. District Judge Ronnie L. White.

According to court documents, on October 17, 2017, officers of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department responded to 3880 Meramec, after a report of a robbery/carjacking at that location.  The victim was located and she said she had been in her 2002 Pontiac Aztek, traveling east in the 3800 block of Meramec.  She stated she stopped at the curb to make a call on her cellular phone.  While doing so she heard a knock at her driver’s window.  She then looked over and observed a male standing at the driver’s door with a military style weapon brandished at her.  She opened the door and attempted to hand over her purse; the suspect refused the purse, and ordered her out of the vehicle. 

When she complied, Phillips entered the driver’s seat.  She additionally observed the passenger door closing.  Ahmaad Ali, the second suspect, entered the passenger side of her vehicle.

The vehicle then fled east on Meramec. The stolen vehicle contained her purse, which held personal items, and her driver’s license.  Her vehicle additionally contained a GoGo Sport scooter, which was located in the rear of the vehicle.

On October 18, 2017, Phillisp, along with co-defendants Ahmaad Ali and Travion Lindsey, all armed with firearms entered the 7-11 store located on Christy Avenue in South St. Louis.  The three arrived at the 7-11 in the Pontiac Aztek that had been stolen one day earlier at gunpoint by Ali and Phillips.  They entered the store brandishing their firearms and wearing masks.  One walked around the counter and began stealing lottery tickets and money from the cash register.  He was armed with a black long barrel pistol grip firearm.  A second male jumped over the counter and began removing the cash register.  He was armed with a black handgun, containing an extended magazine.  The third male stood guard at the door and eventually walked over the counter and assisted in removing currency.  He was armed with a black handgun, which he held in his left hand the entire time.  After two minutes inside of the store, the three ran out of the store taking liquor bottles, cigarettes, and candy on their way outside.  The males then re-entered the Aztec and fled the area northbound, out of sight.

Co-defendants Ali and Lindsey are scheduled to be sentenced May 8, 2019 and April 10, 2019, respectively.

This case is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and assisted by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Tom Mehan is handling the case for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Updated February 13, 2019

Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime