Skip to main content
Press Release

Third Man Sentenced on Dunbar Armored Truck Robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Missouri

St. Louis, MO – Jerry Bean was sentenced to 96 months in prison for the armed robbery of a Dunbar Armored truck.


On April 4, 2016, Jerry Bean, Charles Johnson and Shayne Kier Jones robbed Dunbar Armored Company shortly after a money pickup.  The money was taken from a Dunbar Armored employee at gun point.  Jones was employed by Dunbar, and his duty was to exit the armored truck to do the pickup and delivery of US currency.  A second employee (CT) was assigned as the driver.  At the end of the day’s route, CT was told by Jones that he, Jones would drive the armored truck back to Dunbar.  Jones then decided to stop for gas.  After getting the gas, Jones acted like he was lost and stopped the truck at Antelope and Switzer in the City of St. Louis. He got out of the truck and two individuals with guns rushed him and demanded the money in the truck.  As threats of violence were being made, Jones began to throw the money bags out the back door to Johnson and Jerry Bean.  CT said that there was a white Buick vehicle right next to the armored car.  CT and Jones then drove the truck from the scene of the armed robbery.


On April 14th, the owner of the white vehicle, Jerry Bean, which was used in the robbery was interviewed and finally admitted his involvement in the robbery.  He told law enforcement that Johnson contacted him with the concept of the robbery.  Johnson told Bean that he had a cousin who worked for the armored truck company and would help in the robbery.  Bean’s role was to be the driver of the getaway car, the white car.  Johnson provided the Dunbar shirts used in the robbery, skull caps and sunglasses.  On April 4th, Bean and Johnson drove to the site they had picked out for the robbery.  Jones drove the armored truck to that location, got out of the truck which allowed Bean and Johnson to approach and demand money.  Bean did not know that Jones was the inside employee until he saw him outside the truck.  Bean realized that he had seen Jones as a customer at Bean’s work.  Johnson also worked at the same place.  After the robbery, Bean and Johnson drove the white car loaded with the stolen money to Bean’s residence where the money was transferred to another car.  They then drove to Bean’s mother’s house and divided the stolen money into three shares.  As Jones was still being interviewed by law enforcement, Johnson took two shares of the stolen money for himself and Jones.


Bean, 26, of St. Louis, pleaded guilty on July 6, 2017, to one felony count of conspiracy to interfere with commerce by threats of violence and on one felony count of possession and brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a crime.  He appeared today for sentencing before United States District Judge Catherine D. Perry.


Johnson and Jones were both sentenced in April 2017 to 141 months each.


This case was investigated by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation. 



Updated October 6, 2017

Violent Crime